RandomChickenGuy

In the Brooder
May 7, 2023
My 3 year old buff Orpington hen is acting strange she was healthy until today, she has watery yellow white diarrhea poo, she walks very slow and weirdly, she's lethargic, her voice is higher pitched then normal, she doesn't have much of a appetite, drinking lots of water, and ruffled feathers when she walks/slightly hunched *tail is down as well. None of the other chickens are sick. She may be egg bound as she has gone to the nesting box a few times but she hasn't laid in a year and I thought she stopped/ is just hormonal and wanted to sit on the eggs. She also has a slightly hard crop even though she hasn't eaten today. Please let me know what to do! I'm thinking of giving her a bath with Epson and massage her crop after giving her some coconut oil and water. (Her comb at the end was also slightly purple but it's done that her whole life whenever she is stressed, after laying down her comb is back to red). She shakes her head occasionally head too but I believe it's because of the wind.*Sorry for any grammar typos

Attachments

• IMG_20240325_131657840.jpg
    IMG_20240325_131657840.jpg
    801.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20240325_131644463_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240325_131644463_HDR.jpg
    726.1 KB · Views: 13
It sounds like she could be suffering from internal laying or another reproductive infection. Her crop may not be emptying because of pressure inside the abdomen. You can offer some chilled coconut oil, about 1-2 tsp a day, cut into small pieces to eat. Then massage her firm crop a few times a day to try and break up the mass. Recheck her crop each morning to see if it has emptied. Hopefully the vet can prescribe an antibiotic to treat her or they may help diagnose her. The news may not be good. Let us know what they think.

It sounds like she could be suffering from internal laying or another reproductive infection. Her crop may not be emptying because of pressure inside the abdomen. You can offer some chilled coconut oil, about 1-2 tsp a day, cut into small pieces to eat. Then massage her firm crop a few times a day to try and break up the mass. Recheck her crop each morning to see if it has emptied. Hopefully the vet can prescribe an antibiotic to treat her or they may help diagnose her. The news may not be good. Let us know what they think.
Update: Her crop is no longer impacted and is now squishy/emptying (this happened within a few hours.) However she hasn't pooped since this morning and still isn't eating. We think she has a reproductive problem too since it looks like there was egg white in her dropping and there was egg yolk in a weird place this morning and it couldn't have been any of our other chickens as one doesn't lay anymore and the other laid a full egg today. Also felt for a egg didn't feel one but her abdomen is swollen. We are going to take her into a vet right now since we think its Egg yolk peritonitis/internal laying. Ill keep you updated on how she is doing! (Sorry for grammar mistakes I typed this quickly)

A human calcium citrate tablet with vitamin d given orally once a day may help if she has a calcium deficiency. You can get the generic Equate brand of this at Walmart for under $10, or look at another pharmacy. I would still check her crop in the am for a few days to make sure it is emptying. Salpingitis or inflammation of the oviduct may be a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom