Help! My chicken has twisted her middle toe!

Lusee_Wags

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2018
My chicken, Emma, has twisted her middle toe! When I found her the toe was completely twisted around, as if something had fallen on it. It looks really bad, one side of the toe is cut and it's bleeding a little bit, and the toe is upside down, severely twisted! I found her in my chicken coop with my other chicken, and I thought she was laying an egg, but then she started limping around my backyard pecking at it and I brought her inside. It's kind of hanging off a little bit... There was also a bit of blood in the chicken coop and on our deck... I straightened it and put a splint on it, but i'm worried about it getting infected, and I don't think it's in the correct position... Any suggestions? It looks like she needs stitches!

The splint sounds like a good idea. I would spray either theracyn or vetricyn on the wound itself. Did you put it in the splint then wrap it with vetwrap? If not do that.

The splint sounds like a good idea. I would spray either theracyn or vetricyn on the wound itself. Did you put it in the splint then wrap it with vetwrap? If not do that.
Thanks, I'll head out and buy some new vetwrap... I rinsed the wound in warm water before putting the splint on. I have some mupirocin, can I use that?

Last edited:
Mupirocin is more for infections where bacteria is involved (from what I know), I wouldn't really recommend it but if it's all you have it's better than nothing. You can also use regular neosporin.

Back
Top Bottom