Help my chicken is acting a bit off!

Piggy51015

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2020
I have a female 1 year old barred rock. She started acting a bit strange. She will stand all alone and watch the other chickens. She will have her feathers all riled up. She dose not seem to be eating or drinking. Her eyes and comb are normal. I read that she could be egg bound so we checked with some glove and could not feel anything. We don’t know what to do for her. We are going to put her in a dog kennel tonight with food and water to see if she eats and to see what her poop looks like.

Do you know when she last laid an egg?

I would see if she will drink and eat for you. Check her over for lice/mites and make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
She may be having some trouble with reproduction. It's hard to know.

Do you know when she last laid an egg?

I would see if she will drink and eat for you. Check her over for lice/mites and make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
She may be having some trouble with reproduction. It's hard to know.
She layed a soft egg this morning, she is clear for mites and lice. She is also eating but not drinking

She may have been having difficulty passing the soft egg. They are hard to pass and can make them feel unwell. Hopefully it's just a glitch. I would give her a calcium citrate +D tablet once a day for a few days, that will help in case she is low on calcium, and will help with contractions. Sometimes if they have trouble passing an egg there can be a second one in the system also, that got held up by the first, so she may lay another. Do they have oyster shell available all the time for calcium?

She may have been having difficulty passing the soft egg. They are hard to pass and can make them feel unwell. Hopefully it's just a glitch. I would give her a calcium citrate +D tablet once a day for a few days, that will help in case she is low on calcium, and will help with contractions. Sometimes if they have trouble passing an egg there can be a second one in the system also, that got held up by the first, so she may lay another. Do they have oyster shell available all the time for calcium?
Yes they do have oyster shells available. We will start giving her those calcium tablets

Back
Top Bottom