Help! My chicken is injured by pecking or has a disease.

CAChicks

Hatching
5 Years
May 9, 2014
Bridgeport, CA
My 10.5 week Ameraucana is injured on her back. I think she was pecked by another older chicken in our flock unless someone knows that this is a specific disease. I am merging the new chicks in with older ones and one chicken is relentless with attacking the new ones. I keep hoping it will let up and I thought everyone had come to an agreement but today I found this.

Is there a way to treat it? Neosporin? Essential Oils? Will her feathers grow back? What else should I do?

getaclue

Enabler
7 Years
Jun 19, 2013
Central Florida
Yes, you may put neosporin WITHOUT the pain reliever on it. The feathers will eventually grow back in. Is this the only one with feather loss? Do you have a rooster? Check for mites/lice too. You may want to cage the one causing the problem for a couple days, where it can see this one, but can't get to it. That sometimes solves the problem. I also try to put an obstacle or two, like a couple hay bales in the run/coop, so the younger ones can hide. Make sure you have more than one feeder/waterer, as the bully will try keeping others away from the food, and water. You might want to get a couple small cans of cat food, and give them a little bit as a treat for a few days.

CAChicks

Hatching
5 Years
May 9, 2014
Bridgeport, CA
No other feather loss. We do not have a rooster either. No lice or mites. What I think happened is yesterday when I was out, the coop door accidentally closed locking about 5 chickens inside for a couple of hours. I think my mean bird took advantage of the situation not to mention she was mad to be cooped up. I will try to separate her from the rest. That is a good plan. Thanks!

Top Bottom