Help! My chicken is limping! Is she egg bound?

Dalylah

Chirping
Jul 27, 2020
My chicken was totally fine this morning and they usually lay about this time so I went out to go see if one was laying and they were on the other side of the yard but then I realize one of my hens was limping I examined her and I found no obvious injuries and she is acting pretty much the same but I want to figure out what’s wrong with her please help.

Limping doesn't equate to being eggbound. It indicates a sore foot or leg, especially if you see a chicken peck at it. Watch, and she will likely point right to the spot where it hurts with her beak.

A broken toenail or hangnail aren't readily noticeable. Look closely. Also look for any discoloration on the tissue between the toes. Look for greenish grey bruising on the scales. Look on the bottoms of the feet for any black scabs or thorns. Once I found a pine cone scale wedged under the toenail of a rooster. That really had to hurt.

Limping doesn't equate to being eggbound. It indicates a sore foot or leg, especially if you see a chicken peck at it. Watch, and she will likely point right to the spot where it hurts with her beak.

A broken toenail or hangnail aren't readily noticeable. Look closely. Also look for any discoloration on the tissue between the toes. Look for greenish grey bruising on the scales. Look on the bottoms of the feet for any black scabs or thorns. Once I found a pine cone scale wedged under the toenail of a rooster. That really had to hurt.
Ok thank you! I will look right now. I just panicked because I read somewhere that limping may be a sign of egg bound. But she is acting normal otherwise so I don’t think she is.

Back
Top Bottom