Help my chicken is starving herself :-(

katehopkins85

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 14, 2014

One of my chickens was attacked 13 days ago, we thinkit was a cat. She had a nasty wound and lost lots of feathers. We cleaned it and used a spray plaster and it seems to have scabbed over and doesnt look infected. She seemed ok, however, for the last 8 days she has been hardly moving, her feathers have been puffed up and she is hardly eating anything. She is so skinny now :( she has also had diarrhea. I managed to feed her a bit of scrambled egg and layers mash mix earlier feeding her on my finger but she wasnt very keen.

I felt her crop and its doesnt feel full or blocked. Her neck feels a bit swollen/ sticking out but it could be because she is so skinny?
Ive tried having her in the house but she seemed a bit hot so I or put her back outside so she was not alone. Ive now got her in the greenhouse to keep her out of the rain and wind.

Please help, she looks so miserable :'(

Pic is from 3 days ago after i cleaned the poo off her feathers round her vent.

Last edited:
She may have an infection in the wound? she may need antibiotics from the vets, I'm no expert but it may be the problem. Hope she improves, it's heartbreaking when your chickens get ill :(

Could she missing her flock mates? Maybe try her back outside for short breaks where she can eat with them. You can make a little jumper or use a babyTShirt to cover her wound so she isn't pecked. Where is her neck sticking out or swollen--is it near the crop? Make sure that she is getting some probiotics in her feed to help with the diarrhea. She may have had internal injuries during the attack that have affected her, but I would examine the crop first thing in the morning in case she is getting sour crop, or a slow puffy crop because of injuries. Wet chicken feed and egg are usually pretty appealing, so I hope she gets better.

I did put her back in with our other chicken, who can be a bit of a bully, but i cant see any evidence she is being pecked. It didnt seem to make much difference she stood around looking miserable and hardly ate anything :-(

I syringed some warm water and olive oil into her just incase its her crop but i cant feel anything abnormal in her crop.

Might try some probiotics and marmite tomorrow

Vitamins may help increase her appetite, especially the B vitamins. You can always try tube feeding. Here is a link for that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding
Has she been refusing food since the injury?
Could it be Necrotic Enteritis ?
Her standing around puffed up reminds me of coccidiosis, which also causes diarrhea and lethargy. Sometimes chronic coccidiosis can be a precursor to enteritis. Corid or amprollium would treat coccidiosis, if you could get her to drink it in the water. With the liquid Corid (versus the powder) you could give a couple of drops undiluted to boost her intake of it.

Vitamins may help increase her appetite, especially the B vitamins. You can always try tube feeding. Here is a link for that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding
Has she been refusing food since the injury?
Her standing around puffed up reminds me of coccidiosis, which also causes diarrhea and lethargy. Sometimes chronic coccidiosis can be a precursor to enteritis. Corid or amprollium would treat coccidiosis, if you could get her to drink it in the water. With the liquid Corid (versus the powder) you could give a couple of drops undiluted to boost her intake of it.

Could it be that the stress from the attack has let the Coccidia strengthen? I don't think it couldn't hurt to administer Corid, even if the diagnosis were wrong. I believe the Corid powder can just be mixed with water and squirted down the mouth.

Another link from Kathy:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

Thanks for the advice everyone she is much better, I force fed her for 4 days using a syringe and gave her everything you suggested: an antibiotic, Marmite, probiotic yoghurt, and protein from mealworms. We kept her in the greenhouse for a couple of days, now she is back to scratching around in the coop with her friend :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom