Help my chicken is tilting her head to the right?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ncsiwolf, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Ncsiwolf

Ncsiwolf Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    Simi Valley, Ca
    Started at 5:00
    she walking around ok but she tilling her head to the right as she walks. and she moving her head a little more as she walk. she is eating. she holding her head close to her. Could she have hurt her self.
    What could it be? Please Help me? I'm now at this.

7:30
    she is still doing it she does not straighten her neck all the way.
    what can it be?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

My chickens do that some times. I think they are just trying to look at something from another angle. I would check for any injuries of mites or lice on her neck. If you find none then I am pretty sure that she is just fine.

hope it helps.[​IMG]

3. Ncsiwolf

Aug 7, 2011
    Simi Valley, Ca
    Quote:I check for mites or lice on her neck. there is none for what I can see.

4. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Can chickens get ear infections?? Human toddlers do this when they have fluid in the ears. Just a thought.

5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    it isn't likely it's mites; if it were you'd see them (little black, green brown or red dots) and they'd all have them. if it were an ear infection she'd be scratching at it and shaking her head. has she eaten a lot? feel the area just below her neck. there's a bulge there called the crop where food is ground up by the grit (small rocks) chickens eat-they act like teeth since chickens have none. sometimes if the crops very full it can cause the chicken some discomfort. it's only something you need to worry about if it doesn't empty overnight-it could be impacted crop.

your chick could also have a wry neck, but if you only just noticed it, it isn't likely.

6. Ncsiwolf

Aug 7, 2011
    Simi Valley, Ca
    Quote:yes the crop was fill
    Ok i will check the crop in the morning and see if it smaller

7. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Hope she is fine [​IMG]

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Also examine inside her ear. It is very common for chickens to have ear mites, left untreated they can start tilting there head, shaking there head and even stumble. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by