Kalista Potter

Chirping
Sep 25, 2019
Hello all, One of my girls seem to be unwell. And im not sure why. She's has the following symptoms:
- lethargic/ closes her eyes
- not interested in food or water.
-Seems to have diarrhea will send a photo of it below. ( has pooh on her bum feathers).
Her comb also seems a bit grayish black like she has a bit of frostbite.
-feathers puffed up like she's cold.
-She also seems to have a farily full crop but seems squishyish but it does feel weird. And she haven't eaten anything at all and its still fullish( her crop). Is this sour crop or something else. She seemed okay a few days ago.
-She's also molting.
- and is very quiet. She has come out of the pen in the morning but is puffed up and not intrested in food like her grain. Or her water.
Does anyone have any idea?
She's an Isa Brown.
Her name is precious.
Photos of her down below. Hope someone may know why she is Like this and i hope she can be helped.❤

Attachments

• 16238863956191454849191.jpg
    16238863956191454849191.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 1623886431371843758514.jpg
    1623886431371843758514.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 1623886572639554230797.jpg
    1623886572639554230797.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 7
  • 16238866899631426308134.jpg
    16238866899631426308134.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 16238870938531000147870.jpg
    16238870938531000147870.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 16238871748272111368269.jpg
    16238871748272111368269.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 8
I don't know much about sour or impacted crop but Google search suggested coconut oil. ( It seems easier to search Google than in site, even though results were in BYC.) Informative post from 2018.

Ok
I don't know much about sour or impacted crop but Google search suggested coconut oil. ( It seems easier to search Google than in site, even though results were in BYC.) Informative post from 2018.

Ok thank you I'll ill do some more research on that. I don't exactly know much about sour crop or impacted crop myself.

Hello all, One of my girls seem to be unwell. And im not sure why. She's has the following symptoms:
- lethargic/ closes her eyes
- not interested in food or water.
-Seems to have diarrhea will send a photo of it below. ( has pooh on her bum feathers).
Her comb also seems a bit grayish black like she has a bit of frostbite.
-feathers puffed up like she's cold.
-She also seems to have a farily full crop but seems squishyish but it does feel weird. And she haven't eaten anything at all and its still fullish( her crop). Is this sour crop or something else. She seemed okay a few days ago.
-She's also molting.
- and is very quiet. She has come out of the pen in the morning but is puffed up and not intrested in food like her grain. Or her water.
Does anyone have any idea?
She's an Isa Brown.
Her name is precious.
Photos of her down below. Hope someone may know why she is Like this and i hope she can be helped.❤
I have had 2 chickens die from sour crop. I use coconut oil and was able to save 3 chickens with it. I mix it with chicken scratch or their favorite treat. For a chicken that isn't interested in food is much harder. I take an eye dropper and melt the coconut oil in it and give her several doses while on the roost at night. If you can do it during the day, more doses.

Coconut oil is amazing. I was given some malnourished chickens and their feet were dry and bleeding. 4 nights of coconut oil rubdown and their were very happy and walking pain free again.

1 more tip. Grow oregano in your chicken area or in a pot (it can get invasive in your garden). I take 2 fresh leaves and place them in the chicken water. It is a natural antibiotic and keeps them healthy.

I have had 2 chickens die from sour crop. I use coconut oil and was able to save 3 chickens with it. I mix it with chicken scratch or their favorite treat. For a chicken that isn't interested in food is much harder. I take an eye dropper and melt the coconut oil in it and give her several doses while on the roost at night. If you can do it during the day, more doses.

Coconut oil is amazing. I was given some malnourished chickens and their feet were dry and bleeding. 4 nights of coconut oil rubdown and their were very happy and walking pain free again.

1 more tip. Grow oregano in your chicken area or in a pot (it can get invasive in your garden). I take 2 fresh leaves and place them in the chicken water. It is a natural antibiotic and keeps them healthy.
Hello thankyou for your reply. With the coconut oil does this need to be organic oil? And how much should i give her at a time? And how does the coconut oil help with the sour crop?

Also about the sour crop, do you think my chicken has symptoms of it/has similar symptoms to your chicken who had it?

Thank you for the tip. I recently started growing oregano and thyme for my chickens but the plants are still quite young.

That is amazing that your Isa Browns are living such a long life. Mine have not been as fortunate. I have one with similar symptoms but these were the same her "sisters" went through right before they passed. This one is 4, I lost one about 6 months ago, and the 1st of the 3 over a year ago. Isa Browns on average live about 2 yrs so any time after that is a bonus. My Isa Browns were given to me along with a brahma. They were my original flock.
I know my girl does not have sour crop as I don't smell anything coming from her breath. I have added oregano oil with electrolytes to her water and offer her fresh. But, she's not been eating and I haven't seen her drink any water today - though I put a few drops on her tongue.
I have not tried coconut oil, but it wouldnt hurt. For me, I've come to accept that she is near the end of her life cycle.
I hope that your girl improves, but I wanted to share my own experience. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom