Help! My chicken is wheezing

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by katieosborne17, Jul 26, 2016.

1. katieosborne17

katieosborne17 New Egg

Jul 26, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    My hen 5 months old in a flock of 7. Recently most of them have started laying eggs. They roam free in the yard and have always been happy and fine. Today I noticed she was making a bit of a wheezing sound with a motion that looked as if she was dry heaving. She won't move on her own but will move if you force her to. She won't drink anything either. We have had plenty of water out for them today. We live in Arizona and it's hot out but their conditions aren't terrible. I don't know what to do or how to help. All the other hens went into their coop and she just laid outside. Finally she walked up and went in but is just laying at the entry with her head out still making those weird motions and breathing sounds. Help!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. katieosborne17

katieosborne17 New Egg

Jul 26, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ

Thanks! I just posted it there. I'm new to the chicken thing but they've become pets to us and I would hate for anything to happen to her. I looked up symptoms of a scorpion sting and she's got the same things others have posted after theirs have been stung. I tried Benadryl but she spit it all out and started shaking her head and acting even more strange. We'll see. Thanks!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - fingers crossed for your chicken.

Best wishes
    Ct

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She really needs a vet. I bet if it was a sting, a vet would have something to nullify the effects

7. katieosborne17

katieosborne17 New Egg

Jul 26, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ

She's dead this morning. :( I'm so so sad!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by