Help my chicken isnt eating and has her neck on one side

kricardo1806

Hatching
Dec 5, 2015
i let my chickens out of their coop like usual.i had to leave for a few hours and when i go to put the chickens back in their coop i find one of my chickens (i dont remember how old she is) she looked dead. i looked closer and she was breathing.but it looked like neck was broken and she hasn't eaten. Please help!

Welcome to BYC. Hopefully, it is wry neck, and not a broken neck. Place her inside in a box, spare bathtub, or crate if possible, just to watch her closely. Give her some poultry vitamins and electrolytes. Offer some chopped egg for selenium. Vitamins E deficiency, a head injury, and certain diseases such as Mareks or avian leukosis can cause wry neck symptoms. Wry neck is also called torticolis or crook neck, and the neck may be twisted to the side, downward, or upward in a kind of muscle spasm. Feeding can be important to get enough food and water into them. It can be a long term illness, and sometimes is not cured, but vitamin E and selenium are the usual treatments, as well as reducing stress and stimulation.

I'm sorry for your loss. Perhaps it was a broken neck. Do you think it was a predator, or that she may have been injured? Hopefully it wasn't an illness that might affect the others.

I don't think it was a predetor there are cats that live close to by my house but the don't seem to want to eat them.and I think it was also that my chickens wouldn't let her eat and they would just peck her.

Back
Top Bottom