Help, my chicken just lost her top beak!

NOT REALLY A BROKEN BEAK....OR IS IT???

So, as the story continues. I separated the "broken beak" hen to her own area to keep her safe. After a few hours I went out to check on her and it seemed a miracle had happened...HER TOP BEAK WAS BACK! We didn't know what was going on! So, I guess her beak did NOT break off but was somehow shoved back into her head then somehow she got it to come back out!!! Has anyone else ever heard of this? Does it mean that her beak is broken? She is using it for food and water now, but I can tell she is being careful with it. I don't know if I should expect this beak to get pushed back into her head again or what. Very bizarre to me! Check out the before and after pic!

I have never seen such a thing. Creepy! I think I would keep her isolated and monitor her progress. If she's eating well, then I'd let her go back with the flock, but I'd definitely watch her for a few days. Birds' beaks are the most sensitive parts of their body. That injury (?) had to hurt like the very dickens. I never knew something like that could happen. It gives me the willies just thinking about it!

Good luck with her.

is her top beak loose? i know it may hurt but i would catch her and gentle apply pressure on the beak to see if it moves/wibbles (dont try pushing it back in her head!!)

if its broken perhaps it would be worth carefully gluing it back in place. if it can so easily slip back into her skull it could just as easily break off totally? is there no blood ? nothing?

are you 100% sure its the same chicken? the comb looks different (fuller) on the second pic to me but could be the angle.....
idunno.gif

I haven't tried touching it yet. It is definitely the same hen although hard to believe! In both pics she's quite dirty and probably frazzled. We had just gotten her the night before and it was raining and the first day in our pen with our other 11 hens. She's perked up now and is very clean and puffing herself up & in a better mood. Just worried about the top beak still...to worry or not to worry?

makes me wonder if she broke/dislocated her bottom jaw in addition to breaking off the top part of her beak - making everything look askew...

ermm... are you SURE that is the same chicken in both pictures??? I'm looking at the combs in the pictures and they do not sem to match. Maybe it's just me though....

But I do agree with another user... that the first bird pictured... the jaw looks insanely extended... the bird's head is not the right shape... looks like a bottom jaw problem, however bizarre that is...

Last edited:
THAT IS BIZARRE
ep.gif

something is definitely not right....
in the first pic -- did she just have something in her mouth that made it look weird??
i was gonna ask if it was the same chicken
i can't imagine that the top beak was pushed into her head.....
that is one for the book of "things that make you say... hmmmmm
hmm.png
"

Back
Top Bottom