Help my chicken only wants to sleep

Jmasonn

Hatching
May 23, 2020
I have a leghorn chicken in my flock that is 10 months old and has never laid an egg. She will act like she will but still never has and i know she is not hiding them because i held her in the run for days to see if that was what was happening but no luck she simply has never laid an egg. She recently has started to lay down all day and stay behind from the rest of the flocks daily activities roaming my yard and foraging she just wants to sleep. Its been going on for about two weeks. She is still eating and drinking water though. Anyone know what could be going on?

This is a great question.

Sorry I don't know.

But I myself have been wondering, at what point is it better to start over with something else? (I have 2 pekings who haven't laid any eggs yet, but at 7 months and not 10 months.)

In your case, she is a laying breed. Technically you could, see if there's someone selling something that is already laying eggs, and then absorb the cost by turning this one into meat, and therefore not having to buy meat for awhile from this chicken. Price of chicken breast, 2 dollars a pound x # of pounds of your chicken less 20% for meat to bone ratio allowances, and then compare that amount to the cost of a replacement chicken.

But that's only an option if there's no other option available! I always try to home treat first. But at least now you have something to compare to.

I'm hoping other people could come forward with other options first.

And how big is the rest of your flock? Do you have a lot riding on this one?

And are all of yours leghorns?

Another option is to use this chance to try for something else that is high producing that isn't what the rest of the flock is.

no offence nao57 but I think the OP is looking for ways to make the sick hen well again, not meat production ratios or whatever you are talking about. Unless I am completely wrong, the lack of egg laying was stated as a symptom (and maybe an annoyance) rather than a reason to cull. If the chicken is sick, which it sounds like it is, then for your own health the last thing you should do is eat it!

Jmasonn, there could be a number of causes as to why she is sick. Has she got very pale or very dark wattles and skin (abnormally for her)? Have you dewormed her lately? Have you checked if she is egg bound, or has sour crop? Is she panting, sneezing, or wheezing? What are her poops like? Have a read of the sticky thread in this category as there are so many possible causes.

Until you investigate more symptoms and causes, try the following which won't harm and might help in many conditions until proper treatment is identified:
-adding dried garlic to her feed
-adding ACV to her water
-adding an electrolyte and multivitamin to her water
-feeding her probiotic yoghurt
-deworming her
-dusting with DE

These are all the quick, cheap and easy remedies I can think of. All the above can be bought at a good feed store.

Also, check her for hidden injuries, under her wings/in the folds of her neck, small but deep puncture wounds made by a predator can hide well in feathers, check for manky vent, mites, is any part swollen, hot and red (infection)? Give her a thorough examination.

If the other hens are pecking at her, put her and another docile friendly hen in a separate crate for a few days, to keep an eye on her, treat her and keep her safe.

If she looks like she is semi conscious half the time, then she is much sicker than you think.

That sounds like a very sick bird. Leghorns are very active, would never just sit or sleep away from the flock. The previous poster's suggestion to separate her -- with a friend if possible -- is a good one. Be sure she is eating and drinking. Feel her abdomen. Soft? Swollen? Feel by the vent for any hard lump like an un-laid egg. Is her comb red & floppy? Or, small and pale?

Until you investigate more symptoms and causes, try the following which won't harm and might help in many conditions until proper treatment is identified:
-adding dried garlic to her feed
-adding ACV to her water
-adding an electrolyte and multivitamin to her water
-feeding her probiotic yoghurt
-deworming her
-dusting with DE

These are all the quick, cheap and easy remedies I can think of. All the above can be bought at a good feed store.

Also, check her for hidden injuries, under her wings/in the folds of her neck, small but deep puncture wounds made by a predator can hide well in feathers, check for manky vent, mites, is any part swollen, hot and red (infection)? Give her a thorough examination.

If the other hens are pecking at her, put her and another docile friendly hen in a separate crate for a few days, to keep an eye on her, treat her and keep her safe.

If she looks like she is semi conscious half the time, then she is much sicker than you think.
Oh my goodness thank you so so much for lisying things to check for. I reserached some things that you mentioned and i figured out that it is vent Gleet and im positive that i can get this under control!

That's great and very treatable! Though, be aware that vent gleet can also just be a symptom that affects an already weak, elderly or sick chicken, so there might be something else underlying that makes her susceptible to a fungal infection. Keep careful watch on her.

I like this blog and the natural remedies and common sense approach https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2013/09/vent-gleet-symptoms-causes-and-natural.html?m=1

Best of luck and hope your hen makes a good recovery

Back
Top Bottom