Help! My chickens are fighting!

Another option that does not appear to have explored is to provide Korma with a separate feeding station that keeps him farther away from balance of flock. Place feeding station to extreme of range Korma uses to avoid dominant birds of main flock. If possible make it so Korma and feeding station are not in main flocks line of sight. I do this at time young adults of year disperse from natal flocks. Lower ranking birds in particular get the boot and transition is eased if those being booted have resources needed such as food, water, cover from predator and eventually a distinct roost. Over time the booted birds will often set up a territory and be able to keep others, from main flock from making incursions.

For what it's worth, I've often kept 2 or more roos with 4-7 hens successfully. I once had 2 bantam Wyandotte roos that grew up together & were best friends. They had 1 Wyandotte hen & sometimes a few others that lived with them. They never fought with each other, though they were sometimes grouchy with a larger cockerel that I added in.

Last edited:
I came home today to find my hen laying on her side so I brought her in hoping that she was just cold. She was inside for about 1/2 hour and she started gurgling as if she has too much saliva in her mouth. I have attached a video. Maybe someone can give me some advice on how to treat or what to do. Thank you very much for your concern.

I can't get the video to upload but will keep trying. She also is having real labored breathing. She doesn't open her eyes either. I don't know what to do!

Quote:
I think you will have better luck getting advice if you post this in the emergency/illness section. It doesn't sound very good for your hen's recovery. Has she been ill otherwise?

Quote:
I think you will have better luck getting advice if you post this in the emergency/illness section. It doesn't sound very good for your hen's recovery. Has she been ill otherwise?

I did put it in the emergency section. But it's too late, my poor Lucie died at 7:30.
hit.gif

Thank you for your concern. She was not ill otherwise. I think she just got too cold last night. It was 16 at 4am and 21 at 7 when I opened the doors so they could come out when ready. She'll be missed terribly.

Back
Top Bottom