Help! My chickens are fighting!

Othercat

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Ashe County, NC
I know this is bad but I have 3 hens and 5 roosters. 1 rooster, Henry, is a little over a year old. While the rest are all 26 weeks. They've all gotten along great until now.

In the past month, all have them have turned against one of the roo's, Korma. They terrorize him. They chase him, peck him and won't let him eat. When I let them out of their coop in the morning, poor Korma runs towards the house and hides all day (he actually spends most of his time with me) while the rest roam the land. Every time Korma sees the others, he runs like a bat out of hell. They're fine together at night, but not during the day.

As if this wasn't bad enough, Henry has also become very mean to me. Every time I come around he tries to flog me. I was told to hit him with a stick the next time he does it, but I'm uncomfortable with that and would like a second opinion (yours!).

I'm wondering if giving Henry away would solve both problems. And before anyone suggests it, I won't even think about giving away Korma. He's my favorite.

when he does it grab him and hold him upside down for about 20 seconds. if you were o have 2 roosters that would stop fighting or if you get like 20 hens that would be better

When you show favoritism to Korma, the other birds will pick on him more. Everytime you carry around your favorite bird, the others are getting the same message as when you catch and carry around a mean roo. "He's a wuss, he gets carried. We don't like him. Get him!" Just sayin...
hmm.png

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd find new homes for all the roos except korma, and maybe henry since you've had him the longest, and get some more hens. And I agree with kippy, when he tries to flog you again snatch him up and assert your dominance, show him that even if he picks on all the other roosters that doesn't mean he can pick on you. I've had to do it before with a flock we had when I was younger (about 10 years ago) we had a mean roo that went after everybody, so finally one day I went out and was a "rooster" right back, strutting and displaying my dominance, there I was 15 year old little me out there acting crazy!!!! I've done it with every rooster since, when they get to that age I go out there and show them who's boss! I know it sounds ridiculous but its always worked for me!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I highly doubt this, some people would like to think chickens have the capacity to have rational thought but in my opinion they dont. Instinct is the culprit, they dont rationalize. They attack to display their dominance, any roo they feel is a threat or is intruding they will attack. Some roos are more aggressive then others. Either rehome him/them or send to freezer camp. Some ppl will say cull but not to eat, but would you like to be killed just because you have a bad attitude? Lol just my 2 cents. Best of luck

Last edited:
I have to agree with that. Keep Korma and get rid of any rooster that goes after you. A mean roo is bad enough, look around to see if anyone has some hens they are getting rid of. You might be able to get a few cheap.

Christal

Is there anything wrong with Korma? Do the hens terrorize him and run him off? We had 5 roos all raised together with our pullets, and our favorite roo seemed to get picked on after the others became mature. We separated the other roos, and then the girls all started to pick on him, making him hide in a corner or the nest boxes. He was pitiful and terrified of them after once being their first leader. After 3 months of protecting him and his comb never turning red, had some limping, we had to put him down at 7 months. Probably had some severe medical problem, but it was heartbreaking. You need to pick the nicest roo who acts as a leader, but who is not aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom