1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help, my chickens are pigs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hillbillycitygirl, Jul 13, 2011.

1. hillbillycitygirl

hillbillycitygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

we have 40 chickens (hens and 4 roos) and they have access to a massive yard with tons of grass, dirt, bugs, water etc....but they are piglets. they eat SO much layer feed but we are hardly getting any eggs...granted about half of them are not quite to laying age (will be in a few more weeks) but we go through about 50# of layer feed (from the elevator) a week, what is up with that? Is this normal? If I give them less feed then they are basically attacking me throughout the day and as noisy as ever.
    if I start lowering the amount of feed I give them, will that be okay or is this normal?

2. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Well I have 12 chickens and go through about 125 pounds of feed in a month. SO I would say your amount of feed sounds right. Mine get to eat all sorts of other stuff too...

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Wow... I have 8 and they go through about 50 lbs a month. I give them occasional treats (maybe once a day...) but other than that they free range in our backyard. I know they're getting enough food because they spread their feed all over their coop floor and half the time it sits there.. I won't refill their feeder until they eat up their mess!

4. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    Sometimes the problem is in the feeder. If the chickens can shove the food out of the feeder and onto the ground quite a bit will be wasted. There are some feeder options offered on this site. The one that seems to stop the chickens from wasting so much is one that is just 3" pvc tubes. Also, there is the fact that they're not full grown and, like human teenagers, will eat a great deal more then an adult does.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  5. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I have 13 chickens and go through 50 pounds a month. Mine free range from early morning until they put themselves to bed. The food is always available to them so it's not like I am limiting the amount they can eat. Maybe though the food you feed them tastes really good and that's why. Try finding something they don't like?[​IMG]

6. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    From my experience my chickens eat about 4 oz of feed a day, which is 2.5 lb over 10 days each. I buy a ground laying ration, organic in 50 lb bags for 25.00 I am getting a big chest freezer so I can order about 6 months worth. The shipping cost is bearable if only a couple times a year. I can't find a reliable local source for organic feed, so it is pricey, but and it is a big BUT (not mine) I have nearly zero waste. There is no billing or digging out the yummy pieces. I have been amazed. Because there has been no waste, the net cost is real close to paying for laying pellets that were tossed all over the yard for the rabbits and wild birds. I do feed my chickens a fruit and vegetable/leftovers snack every evening. I can afford that only because the local grocery store lets me get my "chicken pickins" from the produce waste barrels. Got three days worth today. Probably spend more at that store, because I alway by food for use when I get the chicken pickins. Oh, I have 28 adult chickens and 19 babies.

7. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I had a terrible waste problem until I put in a PVC feeder. Now, no waste. They took to it right away, and I am THRILLED.

[​IMG]

8. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    how'd you make it? mine are constantly kicking their shavings in their feed and while I know they can just peck through it I'll like to get the feed in a position that this isn't possible and yours looks great! thanks

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I really think, with 40 chickens, a 50 lb bag a week is pretty normal. I have 19 chickens, and a 50 lb bag lasts two weeks.

10. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Quote:I LOVE your feeder! What did you use to put the holes in it? A regular drill bit for the bigger holes?? Would you mind posting a picture of the other side???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by