HELP!! My Chickens are Sneezing!!

Chickiebabyfluff

Yappette in Training
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
NorthEastern Ohio
:My chickens are sneezing. There are no other symptoms tht i can see just the sneezing. Sounds like they are spitting, the roo's will crow and then sneeze. Does this mean they are sick or are gettin sick? what do i do for sneezing?
hide.gif

Last edited:
sounds like they could be getting a common cold, but I am not 100% sure. Try this links, it was helpful to me.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044 Read it all!

also here is a solution mix to try. And yes, it is perfectly safe, it came from another BYC member.

The solution is 2 cups of household unscented bleach in a 1 gallon milk jug, top off with water & mark it with a sharpie as "solution"

Then use 1 Tablespoon of this in 1 gallon of water for the birds when they are well, and use 2 Tablespoons of it per gallon of bird's drinking water if sick.

I use alot of milk jugs, I fill them all with water, and then measure in 1 Tablespoon per jug, and cap, and put in each coop.

I also put 100% solution into a spray bottle, and use it for cleaning fonts, feeders, incubators, toilets, kitchen counter, eggs.

Eggs go into 2 cups of 120 degree water and 30 squirts of solution for 30 seconds.

Oh, and do not use the solution water in galvinized, rubber or metal containers, just plastic fonts.

Quote:
Is there someting in the environment causing them to sneeze? Examples would be dust, crumble feed, smoke, certain odors, gnats or flys in nostrils, chemicals in bedding/lawn, pollen etc...

Quote:
Is there someting in the environment causing them to sneeze? Examples would be dust, crumble feed, smoke, certain odors, gnats or flys in nostrils, chemicals in bedding/lawn, pollen etc...

it has been REALLLLLLLLY raining here everything is extremely saturated!! Nothing is different for them as far as coop and food go. Other then the really wet conditions. Their coop is nice and dry but the yard (they free range) is puddles the bedding puts off a dust but its the same bedding i have used for them for the last year. I clean the coop out 3 times a year....and the food is the same as they have always gotten...there is alot of "stuff" floating in the air and blowin around with the wind.

Last edited:
I have to strongly disagree with the other poster. Chickens do not catch cold. If their respiratory problem was not caused by something in the environment, then they may have a virus. Feeding it water with bleach in it will not cure a virus. It may sanitize things, but it will not make a sick chicken well. Sorry.

Last edited:
Quote:
the only symptom i have noticed is the sneezing they are eating and drinking and running around like they always do. Will i hurt them if i give them the bleach water solution?

Quote:
the only symptom i have noticed is the sneezing they are eating and drinking and running around like they always do. Will i hurt them if i give them the bleach water solution?

I don't know if it will hurt them, but it sure won't help them either. If what they have is curable, then they need an antibiotic, not bleach. Be aware that many chicken respiratory problems can't be cured. The birds can become free of symptoms, but will always be carriers of the virus and can transmit it to other birds. I had to euthanize a batch of new chicks I bought because they started sneezing the day after I got them. It was not worth it to me to infect the rest of my flock so they had to go.

here's a good link for you.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=129278

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom