Help my chickens eye won’t open

Aug 31, 2021
I went to fill waters today and noticed my chicken just sitting in one spot in the snow so I picked her up and brought her inside, I noticed her left eye won’t open. She was also extremely thirsty but she’s waking around now that she’s inside and acting fine other than her eye that is still closed. Any ideas?

Attachments

• EC1BC204-9294-492F-BF31-5C6D756AC604.jpeg
    EC1BC204-9294-492F-BF31-5C6D756AC604.jpeg
    399.9 KB · Views: 25
I went to fill waters today and noticed my chicken just sitting in one spot in the snow so I picked her up and brought her inside, I noticed her left eye won’t open. She was also extremely thirsty but she’s waking around now that she’s inside and acting fine other than her eye that is still closed. Any ideas?
wow what a cute round chicken! good that she is acting fine, about the eye, I'm not an expert but I have some experience with one of my duck's eyes that was injured last year and now she is blind in that eye but otherwise doing great, and I just give her eye drops now and then if it looks irritated (or dry) Do you have saline (just plain saline) or chamomile tea bags? You can make a warm moist compress with a washcloth that you wet with either saline , or chamomile tea , or even hold the chamomile tea bag over the eye area for a while (after steeping it in hot water and then letting it cool off) Maybe that will help.

wow what a cute round chicken! good that she is acting fine, about the eye, I'm not an expert but I have some experience with one of my duck's eyes that was injured last year and now she is blind in that eye but otherwise doing great, and I just give her eye drops now and then if it looks irritated (or dry) Do you have saline (just plain saline) or chamomile tea bags? You can make a warm moist compress with a washcloth that you wet with either saline , or chamomile tea , or even hold the chamomile tea bag over the eye area for a while (after steeping it in hot water and then letting it cool off) Maybe that will help.
Thank you! Will definitely try the chamomile tea

Look her over really well for lice and mites.

For her eyes, a compress may help, but afterward, flush with saline to remove any debris or pus.

Being extremely thirsty may be due to her not accessing water while she was outside, but do check her crop first thing in the morning before she's eaten or drank to make sure it's emptying.
Often chickens drink a lot of water when they are having crop problems. If the crop is not emptying, then I'd begin treating that symptom https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

She was most likely pecked on the eye. I would separate her from the others until she is healed. Other than that, I would leave it alone.

How is your cute chicken doing today? I hope her eye got better 🥰

How is your cute chicken doing today? I hope her eye got better 🥰
She’s doing great, I kept her inside for one night and made sure she got food and water. Then I reintroduced her and watched and it went well. No pecking on her. Yesterday when I was out filling water I noticed her eye is back open. I’m guessing she got pecked in the eye while I brought out table scraps for the birds but luckily it wasn’t too bad.

She’s doing great, I kept her inside for one night and made sure she got food and water. Then I reintroduced her and watched and it went well. No pecking on her. Yesterday when I was out filling water I noticed her eye is back open. I’m guessing she got pecked in the eye while I brought out table scraps for the birds but luckily it wasn’t too bad.
:weeIm so glad she is ok !

Back
Top Bottom