Help my chickens keeps squawking and bawking.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eatenchong, Mar 24, 2018.

1. eatenchong

eatenchong Hatching

Mar 24, 2018
  2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    How old are they? Are they laying eggs?

3. eatenchong

eatenchong Hatching

Mar 24, 2018
    They are around 6 months and just today one of them layed their first egg.

4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I have a feeling that the one who just laid the egg is the one that makes all the noise. I am unable to listen to your audio recording... but look up chicken egg songs online and listen and read and see if you think this is what may be happening. They kinda freak out a bit, especially when they first start laying. Some girls get more worked up than others and can be quite noisy.

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

The egg song and it's normal...:frow

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Chickens make noise. They make noise when they lay, they make noise when their flockmates lay. They make noise because they're unhappy about something, and they make noise when they're content. You really can't stop them.

Morrigan and aart like this.
  7. Grace11

Grace11 Songster

May 5, 2011
    I was astonished to discover that chickens stand up to lay their eggs and also greatly amused when they grab pieces of straw and distribute it around them, helps to make that circular nest! I still am amazed at the grand design behind it all. Listen to this youtube, clever piece about chicken egg songs and hilarious....

8. Morrigan

Morrigan Free Ranging

Apr 9, 2014
    N. California
    And some hens sing the egg song LOUDLY. The loudest it gets is when several hens and my rooster all join in together. The rooster can get some serious volume, almost sounding like a goose honking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: