Help. My chickens leg isn't improving

Caraghsian

Hatching
Nov 20, 2021
My baby chicken somehow hurt his leg overnight, by the morning he walked on his toes. He sometimes sits it out when lying down as in pic but mostly sits normally. I took him away for abit as it hurt him to move and it's only got worse. He now can't stand on it as much as he did. My friend a vet nurse couldn't feel any breaks but when she felt higher up his leg maybe joint/hip he cried a lot.. I'm so worried! It even feels like it hurts him to pick him up now

Attachments

• IMG_20211129_170614.jpg
    IMG_20211129_170614.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20211120_181122.jpg
    IMG_20211120_181122.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 2
How old is your chicken? Did you see it injure itself? Are the toes curled under on one foot? Does the leg seem numb? Was it vaccinated for Mareks disease? If it is injured or sprained, resting it in a dog crate with food and water could help. Upper leg and hip injuries tens to be harder to heal.

How old is your chicken? Did you see it injure itself? Are the toes curled under on one foot? Does the leg seem numb? Was it vaccinated for Mareks disease? If it is injured or sprained, resting it in a dog crate with food and water could help. Upper leg and hip injuries tens to be harder to heal.
He is around 8/9 weeks, I didn't see it happen just saw the aftermath. He has jumped off the log ( the highest thing in his are) many time so unsure how he could have done it. No curling, no numbness, and he isn't vaccinated but Ive looked a lot at the symptoms and they don't seem to match at all.when he does try and move he briefly steps on his foot but avoids the pad of it and walks on his toes. I felt his hock joint and it feels weirdly boney but so does his other leg so I don't think it's that. There isn't any swelling that I can see which is why I'm confused

but when she felt higher up his leg maybe joint/hip he cried a lot..
That sounds like the leg is popped out of the socket.... or broken way up high by the hip where it is difficult to see and swelling and bruising is hidden.

Since you have other chicks...

Pick up a normal chick and feel all over the hip area... keep doing that with your healthy chicks until your fingers get an idea of what is normal.

Then pick up the injured chick... see if you can feel what is different.

The couple times I have had a chicken break a leg way up by the hip.... I had to put the bird down. It is too high up to splint. I tried rest, and time, but the bone wouldn't regrow/stabilize so it was always painful.

If however it is a sprain, that can get better! Just last year I had a chicken with a very bad sprain... it took her over a month before she could move around properly. The chicken with the sprain was not in as much pain, as the chickens I have had with broken legs.

If it is a dislocated hip.... I have watched a bunch of you tube videos to fix that.... and I have failed completely... and those chickens with that affliction also were in too much pain, did not improve, and had to be put down.

I am very sorry I don't have better input.

:hugs

Yes, super sucks.

That sounds like the leg is popped out of the socket.... or broken way up high by the hip where it is difficult to see and swelling and bruising is hidden.

Since you have other chicks...

Pick up a normal chick and feel all over the hip area... keep doing that with your healthy chicks until your fingers get an idea of what is normal.

Then pick up the injured chick... see if you can feel what is different.

The couple times I have had a chicken break a leg way up by the hip.... I had to put the bird down. It is too high up to splint. I tried rest, and time, but the bone wouldn't regrow/stabilize so it was always painful.

If however it is a sprain, that can get better! Just last year I had a chicken with a very bad sprain... it took her over a month before she could move around properly. The chicken with the sprain was not in as much pain, as the chickens I have had with broken legs.

If it is a dislocated hip.... I have watched a bunch of you tube videos to fix that.... and I have failed completely... and those chickens with that affliction also were in too much pain, did not improve, and had to be put down.

I am very sorry I don't have better input.

:hugs

Yes, super sucks.
Thank you! No that was super helpful. I hope it's something that can be fixed. When you felt the chickens that did break high up, was it very obvious?

Thank you! No that was super helpful. I hope it's something that can be fixed. When you felt the chickens that did break high up, was it very obvious?
It took a bit of practice, (feel healthy chicken,feel busted chicken), but then I could feel the break.

It wasn't super obvious. However, what was super clear was lots of pain that did not diminish over time.

Chickens with sprains have a lower pain. At least in my experience.

Sorry to hear about your chicken. I had a similar problem about a year back and had my pullet on a sling for about 3 months. She beeped (cried) alot during that period but did a full recover. Mine was obviously just a sprain. Hope yours is too.

Back
Top Bottom