Help! My chicks are lost in the garage!

Lori J

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2017
My terrier got into the garage and knocked over their “chick corral” and all of my 4-day old chicks scattered under the furniture and boxes that we have from the storage unit. I managed to find two, but the others are not peeping very much and I could not spot them. Should I turn off the light and just try again in the morning? Or would it be better to leave the light on so that maybe they can find their way out from under all the stuff. The light is my main concern now, but any suggestions for in the morning are also appreciated.

Only 4 days old? Were they using a heat source? That would be my concern that they would get too cool. How many are you talking about total? Did they maybe get injured?

Yep, I agree with Punkybrewster (above). Turn the main light off. Turn the heat lamp on. Set out food and water. They may have trouble finding their way into the corral. Heck, my big hens can't find their way into the fenced in yard sometimes and I've had them over a year.

Put the terrier somewhere else for a while so it doesn't spook them again right now. You can introduce it when the chicks get a little bigger and stronger. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom