HELP! My chicks have been dying and I can't figure out why!

JLukassen

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 25, 2015
Hello, I had bought 11 baby chicks at the feed store about 4 or 5 weeks ago and they have been dying in spurts since then. First one just a few days after I brought them home, 4 all in a row the next week and then the remaining 6 were ok for a couple weeks but I had another one die on me last night. All of these chicks had seemed lethargic the night before they died, unable to walk far or balance well. The one last night seemed like it was failing to thrive, it was smaller and had less feathers than it's counterparts. They had a 10 day long course of tetracycline and it seemed to have been helping until this.last one died. I raised 10 perfectly healthy chicks last year and just can't.figure out what to do this time :( any advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
My advice to you (though it doesn't help you in your current state) is to stop buying chicks from your local feed store. I learned the hard way. I purchased my second batch of chickens from my local feed store. They all had coccida and as a whole were just not very healthy looking birds. My last batch I ordered online from mypetchicken.com. You can choose the sex and breed at very reasonable prices. Plus you can have them vaccinated and the birds just have better genetics. They look better and produce better.

So sorry to hear of your troubles. :(

It's possible that they contracted Coccidiosis. Weakness, lethargy, and sudden death are all symptoms of Coccidiosis.

Treatment is Corid 20% powder or 9.6% liquid. Ironically, they probably sell it at the same store where you got your chicks. I would start them on this IMMEDIATELY. I would also make batches for any other birds on the property.

Dosage:

1.5 teaspoons (NO. LESS.) of the 20% powder solution per gallon of water.
2 teaspoons of the 9.6% liquid per gallon.

Divide dosage as needed to make smaller amounts. :)

Chicks from the feed store are okay, but you do run the risk of other people with chickens handling them, which can spread disease (to the checks and to the rest of your flock when you bring them home). Coccidiosis is one of the most common chicken diseases and can survive on skin, clothes, shoes, equipment, etc.

I hope that helps!

Edit to add: WELCOME TO BYC!

welcome-byc.gif

MrsB

Last edited:
Do ducks typically contract this as well? I know there's some issues with ducks and antibiotics...

Corid is not an anti-biotic. It is Amprolium that treats the little microscopic nasty that invades your birds' intestines and prevents them from absorbing nutrients properly.

There has been some debate, but it looks like Corid is safe for use in ducks.... I have no idea if the dosing is the same or different. :/

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page7.htm

Keep us posted. :)

Thanks for the advice I don't live near the feed store but the vet nearby had the liquid, so for a 20oz waterer I got that I needed 1.6ml I'd very much appreciate if someone would double check my math

Back
Top Bottom