Help! My Cochin (large) Roo is limping!

What should you feed non-laying birds?
I like to feed a flock raiser/starter/grower/finisher type feed with 20% protein crumble full time to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (a freshly trapped mouse, mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided once in while and during molting and/or if I see any feather eating.

Thank you so much. The Mods should file your response in the beginner's forum as required reading. <g. So did the soak in epsom salt dissolved in hot water, set up the bath, then fed everybody. Took Poppop into the house and into the tub, set him down (I did check the water first) and talked to him and rubbed his feet. I got up shut the shower curtain and turned off the light shut the door and went and cleaned and rearranged his cage, I should have used the pine shavings, I just forgot about them. Anyway, let Pop soak for 20mins slowly came into the bathroom talking to him as I turned on the light and opened the curtain. He was right where I had left him. Wrapped him in a towel and took him to the kitchen sink where I could see. My S/O helped alot with handing me what I wanted, getting what I needed (with NO coffee! yes I will something nice) I just softly moved the black mass in a circle and it came out real easy. There was a lot of hard yellow stuff packed into the pad, I dug some out. We stopped when he started to shake. Flushed it packed it and wrapped it. Took him back out side to the coop, he started to chirp to the hens. I put him in the cage and put a bowel of food inside, he tore into the food. So we waite a day and see what it looks like, gonna do the vaseline and see what happens. Thank for all getting involved in a stranger's dilemma.

Thank you so much. The Mods should file your response in the beginner's forum as required reading. <g. So did the soak in epsom salt dissolved in hot water, set up the bath, then fed everybody. Took Poppop into the house and into the tub, set him down (I did check the water first) and talked to him and rubbed his feet. I got up shut the shower curtain and turned off the light shut the door and went and cleaned and rearranged his cage, I should have used the pine shavings, I just forgot about them. Anyway, let Pop soak for 20mins slowly came into the bathroom talking to him as I turned on the light and opened the curtain. He was right where I had left him. Wrapped him in a towel and took him to the kitchen sink where I could see. My S/O helped alot with handing me what I wanted, getting what I needed (with NO coffee! yes I will something nice) I just softly moved the black mass in a circle and it came out real easy. There was a lot of hard yellow stuff packed into the pad, I dug some out. We stopped when he started to shake. Flushed it packed it and wrapped it. Took him back out side to the coop, he started to chirp to the hens. I put him in the cage and put a bowel of food inside, he tore into the food. So we waite a day and see what it looks like, gonna do the vaseline and see what happens. Thank for all getting involved in a stranger's dilemma.
Wonder if it was piece of wood or metal or something sharp stuck in there??

Dont know...the stuff is a yellow/orange color and real thick and dried. We are soaking and using ichthammol to help draw it out still have him in a crate in the coop so he can be with his hens. I will update you later after this soak.

Hi Wildknives:

Sorry just getting back to you now! Had major low back surgery, fusion, that was complicated due to 2 previous surgeries 30 yrs. ago and site was filled with fat tissue and scar tissue that had intertwined itself in and out of my spinal nerves there! A 1 1/2 hr. surgery, instead took over 4 hours! They kept me for 4 days afterwards, before finally discharging me! Tht was back on May 10th - 13th. Today is the first time I have been able to sit up and weed out and through my emails! (Over 435 of them)!

Anyway,at you found in Roo's foot and that does sound exactly like "Bumblefoot"! Especially with it coming out without having to "cut it out"! Yes, the harder yellow stuff would have been the infection that ws causing the swelling!. Sounds like you were a very good "Vet"! You did everything just exactly right! Only I don't know if I'd have left him un watched, (simply because epsom salts in hot water disolved and then drunk is the remedy for constipation)! LOL Wouldn't want any other Roo's out there to drink it while in there and come up with the diarreah! LOL

So...how is your Roo doing now?

Back
Top Bottom