HELP!! My Cornish Crosses are dying!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hobbychicker, Jun 16, 2008.

1. hobbychicker

hobbychicker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2007
    I just got 27 new chicks on Saturday. They were supposed to come on Friday, but didn't show up, so I was at the door as soon as the truck came on Saturday to get them and get them some water and food. We ordered 10 EE hens, 1 EE rooster, 10 Buff Orp hens, and 5 Cornish Crosses. I also got 6 RIR hens, 1 RIR rooster and 12 Cornish Crosses for a friend. They sent an extra EE. So, all in all there were 47 chicks. When I opened the box, one of the RIR hens was dead and the RIR rooster wasn't doing good at all, but everyone else looked as perky as can be expected. I put electrolytes in the water (recommended from the feed store) and dipped all of their beaks. We gave them food and everything seemed to be going well. Even the RIR rooster perked up with the electrolytes. Later, I went down to check and one of the Cornish was laying there and all of the other chicks were running over the top of it without it doing anything. I picked it up and tried to give it water with a dropper, but it died in my hand. Then, the RIR rooster died in my hand. I realized I had never seen it eat and it had never perked up to the point of the other chicks. My friend came and got his chicks and he had another Cornish die that night (Saturday). Last night, I went in and there was another Cornish gone. This morning, another one. I don't understand what is happening? The only other chicks we lost were weak from shipping, but the Cornish all seemed fine. And we haven't lost any of the other ones. Can anyone help me on this one?

Kell

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Cornish crosses are prone to health problems, but that usually occurs when they're older. I've never had them, so I don't know for certain, but perhaps they're just not as hardy as other birds.

My best guess would be this - if they were supposed to come on Friday and did not arrive until Saturday, that extra day in transit stressed them too much. If chicks have a long journey, it really does take a toll on them.

Hoping the rest of them make it! [​IMG]

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    What kind of starter are you using? Cornish do better on 24% or higher. Folks around here use the 28-30% game feed for starting cornish.

Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by