Help!! My Coturnix Quail are dying

chvygirl

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
I have 2 1/2 week old Coturnix's. Hatched them here. I changed their water one morning and when I came back in the room I had one with its head thrown back and flapping it's wing. I grabbed it and starting rubbing it's crop (I had no idea what to do) it threw up water and like snot?? As I was rubbing that one I had 11 out of 21 start the same thing. I got them all to "threw up" the water and saved all but one. They were fine after that. Tonight I had 6-7 start doing it again and lost 3. They have been fine for about 4-5 days. Why are they doing this? There is no mildew in water or food and the are inside with no other birds. I am new to raising quail.

Sounds like a niacin deficiency. Give them some cooked egg yolk. And better yet, if you have brewer's yeast (not bakers) mix that into their feed.

Also, polyvisol children's liquid vitamins (WITHOUT IRON) in their drinking water will help. A tiny bit of yogurt in their feed will help flourish their guts with good bacteria.

(I don't check my mail often so I'm heading out of the thread indefinitely. Best of luck!)

Back
Top Bottom