Help My dogs got out and killed my neighbors chickens....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are people being judgmental? Even the best gates and fences and the most conscientious dog owner can have an accidental escape.

I didn't know a question was being judgmental ...sorry, I would not be the same ever again if someone shot my dogs whether it be my fault or whatever. So sorry about your chickens too. I was just curious as to how they got to the chickens.
barnie.gif

It goes both ways, really. As chicken keepers, we are ultimately responsible for our chickens' welfare. If we allow our chickens to free range, we are taking the risk of a predator getting at them. In most cases, we are legally able to protect our free ranging chickens by whatever means necessary. If that means shooting a stray dog or two, that's how it is sometimes. As dog owners, we are morally and ethically if not legally responsible to keep our dogs on our own property, and compensate the neighbors when our dogs get ahold of their livestock. Sounds like the OP has done this. I have not once read the OP denying responsibility, excusing the dogs' behavior, complaining about the loss of the dogs, or seeming as though they were wronged in any way. They appear to have taken full responsibility for what happened. Being told they should not own dogs because they were accidentally let out is rather harsh, in my opinion. It may be easy to say if one has never had animals accidentally let out by guests, kids, the mailman, or whoever (fill in the blank - I can't list all the possibilities). We can't all be perfect, and for those who are, more power to you. But please bear with the rest of us who aren't and do have things beyond our control that do happen. I don't think that acknowledging an accident in any way excuses a person from responsibility.

Yeah I can't tell you how many times my house mates have let my dogs out and how many times I have talked to them about that. It has led me to a place where I have multiple gates, double, triple gating my yard. I also have a lock on my gate that only I have a key too, despite making my house mates uncomfortable. I know that I am ultimately responsible for their behavior, but still with the Leavenworth backyard something can happen.

I disagree. The neighbor obviously needs better protection for his flock from predators. If these dogs got to his birds, so can other dogs as well as foxes, coyotes etc. Without knowing details, it sounds like perhaps both parties need to address animal enclosures.

in a court of law, the neighbor with the free range chickens would NOT be told to "put up fences" is all I'm saying. That neighbor is not being irresponsible. The OP is not necessarily irresponsible, either. A mistake was made, and it's been corrected. Fence, or not...dogs can get in, if they want to. The OP is obviously feeling bad about this, understandably. Anytime an animal comes on someone else's property and causes damage, the owner of THAT animal is at fault. NOT the owner of the property where the animal trespassed!

chicknmania said:

Quote: Agreed.

It is quite refreshing to see someone willing to take responsibility for a loose dog, accidental or whatever. I applaud that, I really do. The sad truth is that money will never replace a beloved pet-I'm not talking about the dog, but the chickens. Make no mistake, many of my hens are very loved and probably much older than whatever dog might get to them if one breaches the perimeter fence. It's not only monetary value-many of mine may have none at their advanced ages. It's the fact that a hen I hatched here, loved for years, who knows her name, who has a personality and a place in my heart, might be torn apart at her advanced age after being safe her entire life from predators. That can't be compensated for, not ever. Just food for thought.

Again, thank you to the OP who is taking his licks for this and is more than willing to pay for the lost birds.

Last edited:
I have a fenced in yard for my chickens and sometimes they fly out even though the yard is huge. I do have neighborhood dogs that roam and yesterday I came home to one of the dogs with my chicken in its mouth. Luckily, I chased him off and my hen was ok which I was surprised. It's a huge boxer. i feel I can keep them fenced and protect them as much as I can but if they fly out then they are fair game. I wouldn't shoot someone's dog though.
1f622.png

I disagree. The neighbor obviously needs better protection for his flock from predators. If these dogs got to his birds, so can other dogs as well as foxes, coyotes etc. Without knowing details, it sounds like perhaps both parties need to address animal enclosures.

in a court of law, the neighbor with the free range chickens would NOT be told to "put up fences" is all I'm saying.  That neighbor is not being irresponsible.  The OP is not necessarily irresponsible, either.  A mistake was made, and it's been corrected.  Fence, or not...dogs can get in, if they want to. The OP is obviously feeling bad about this, understandably.  Anytime an animal comes on someone else's property and causes damage, the owner of THAT animal is at fault.  NOT the owner of the property where the animal trespassed!

Again, this completely depends on the state/county. There is no federal mandate on this issue.

If mine escape the perimeter fence and leave the property, it's on me. I would never fault someone's dog for killing a hen who left her safe haven, though here, that dog would pretty much also be where it should not be as well. I am a dog lover, have had dogs most of my life, but mine were contained. Every place we moved to, we put up a fence if one did not exist-that is my responsibility as the dog owner. And yes, I could shoot someone's dog. Would I enjoy it? Of course not but my birds are my priority and I will not grab a dog in the middle of a killing spree-neither should anyone else.

You find a dog slaughtering your birds and you have the means to stop it without putting yourself in danger. What do you do? Watch helplessly? I think when faced with a scene like that, you will do what you must to stop the killing if you're able. It's all theoretical until you're in the middle of it or come home to a property with torn up bodies of your chicken pets strewn all over, some dead, some still suffering that you have to put out of their misery. Unfortunately, you can't take a dog to court and some owners will deny their dog is the culprit while said dog stands next to them with blood and feathers all over its mouth.

Last edited:
If someone has animals, whether they're chickens, or llamas, or peacocks, or even catfish, they have to be prepared for some loss if they don't make some provision for keeping the animals safe. It's irresponsible to think otherwise. Having chickens roaming around unprotected is almost baiting other animals to come have a taste. If you wanted to lure a mountain lion I couldn't think of a better way to do it. There are plenty of raccoons and skunks, let alone family dogs that the chickens need to be protected from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom