Help... my dominque hen.......

chickiemama1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 27, 2013
She is about 1 year old.
She acts like she is choking or can't catch her breath. She stretches her neck out an kinda shakes her head an gasp.
When i felt her neck, I felt a small lump about halfway her neck. Is that normal?
She seems skinny compared to the rest of the hens and stays to herself. She tries to scratch an eat, but with her constantly gasping for air, this could be why she is skinny. She doesn't appear to have any mites or missing feathers.
Could it be worms or something lodged in her thoat.
I feel so helpless as I am new to raising chickens.
What to do??? I DON"T KNOW:(

No that isn't normal at all.Could she have some food stuck in her throat, that's caused by eating to fast. Or has she had bad swelling on her neck, caused by an injury? Hope she gets better.Don't feel bad, everyone learns new things everyday. ; )

No swelling or injury that I know of. I tried to look down her throat but it was hard to do by myself. Will try to get someone to assist me with holding her.

Thanks

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Pour a little olive oil down her throat, but be careful you don't drown her. Then gently massage her throat downwards. If there is a food or something stuck in there this will hopefully dislodge it. Good luck!

welcome-byc.gif
she may have gapeworms. Have an assistant aim a strong flashlight down her throat while you take a cotton swab to the back of her throat. If it comes out red tinged, it likely she has gape worms- that would cause her gasping. You may want to enter "Gapeworms" in the search box and see if that matches her symptoms. I think a special medication is used to eliminate them.

Back
Top Bottom