Help my duck cant walk

Chocy_duck

Chirping
Nov 13, 2020
Hello the other day I came home and noticed my male call duck wasn't able to walk at all. His always around my girls and they are fine. I have popped him inside with nutriwater but he won't eat. He can't preen himself and use his wings. I have been popping him in water for some therapy but nothing has changed in 2 days. When I hold him up he can move his legs and his wings and try to fly down but as soon as I put him down he can't move. Can anyone help me please?

I don't have answers, but others will likely need more info. He's some questions to help the experts.

Any sign of injury?

What are you feeding the ducks? Are they getting a source of Niacin?

When you plop him in water does he swim normally and move his feet or just float?

Hello the other day I came home and noticed my male call duck wasn't able to walk at all. His always around my girls and they are fine. I have popped him inside with nutriwater but he won't eat. He can't preen himself and use his wings. I have been popping him in water for some therapy but nothing has changed in 2 days. When I hold him up he can move his legs and his wings and try to fly down but as soon as I put him down he can't move. Can anyone help me please?
Have you checked the bottoms of his feet for bumblefoot? Ducks are highly prone to that condition.

Could you post a video of the duck?
Do you have any pictures of his droppings?
Where are you located in the world?

Several conditions can cause a sudden onset in paralysis with waterfowl, ranging from toxicosis, bacterial infections, trauma, to neurological damage. Differentiating these conditions merely on outward symptoms, and anamnesis can often prove inaccurate, therefore, if a veterinarian is an option, that may be the best route to choose.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/Veterinarians.cfm?CustID=28019418

If a vet is not an option, treatment should be first tailored to treating his current anorexic state. Anorexic birds often are unable to produce a copious amount of metabolic heat to maintain normothermia, and often become hypothermic, therefore, environmental space should be warmer than usual to ward off such as scenario. Nutritional support is warranted in cases of anorexia to maintain the bird's nutrional state.

If the bird is not eating, tube feeding is the only option to provide nutritional support. Tube feeding supplies consists of a 60ml syringe, gamebird starter feed/ or parrot baby feeding formula, in addition, one should have a gram scale, and tubing, preferably an 18 french red rubber catheter, but aquarium tubing of a similar size, equipped with a melted tip to prevent esophageal damage will suffice. Additional information on tube feeding can be found here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

If you live in a warm climate, chances of bacterial ingestion exp. Clostridium botulinum (botulism), is likely and could pose similar symptoms. In consideration of this, you may attempt to give activated charcoal via gavage (tube feeding). Charcoal can be purchased in a pet form with sorbitol added, although plain activated charcoal tablets will suffice. A good start in dealing with these problems is with a thorough physical examination; performed correctly this simple step can provide valuable information otherwise miscounted for.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/exot...ltry/physical-examination-of-backyard-poultry

I don't have answers, but others will likely need more info. He's some questions to help the experts.

Any sign of injury?

When you plop him in water does he swim normally and move his feet or
Have you checked the bottoms of his feet for bumblefoot? Ducks are highly prone to that condition.
Yrs and no bumblefoot

Any sign of injury?

When you plop him in water does he swim normally and move his feet or just float?
No sign of injury. Not eating his normal food. He had a few peas with his ladies today. His now preening himself. When in water his feet can move but he just floats there, if I move around the pond he uses his feet to move in the water. I'm thinking he has a niacin deficiency

Back
Top Bottom