Help! my duck has a sore foot..

you could try doing a figure 8 when wrapping it having it go around the whole foot that way it will be more natural for him and harder for him to get off

aww they are so pretty. i can see how he is walking funny. if it would be good if you could put him and his female together in an in closed area so hes not walking on it so much. and if you can get it wrapped with the honey that would help it heal faster. its ok to close his foot up when you wrap it. after a vet operates on a ducks foot they bunch it together to rap it and then they are to keep them in a cage that way they dont get hurt walking around. he probly wont like it but it will help in the long run.

thanks for the info.. I have been putting the honey but unable to wrap it.. if it is ok to bunch his toes then thats what I will do.. as you can tell they r very protective of each other :)

I have gotten 4 eggs already.. everyday this week! This morning I hear her.. I think I might have another egg! Wow.. I didn't know she could lay everyday!

regarding my male duck and his sore foot.. thanks guys.. he is no longer limping.. however, he is still not moving a lot and panting. He has been doing this off and on since he was a baby.. so is this maybe a birth defect? When he was little he would lay around a lot more than the female, and he would pant like that off and on. (refer to my video I posted earlier) Now the panting is everyday and he has a hard time keeping up.. I get discouraged because I don't know much about ducks and trying to learn as much as I can.

regarding my male duck and his sore foot.. thanks guys.. he is no longer limping.. however, he is still not moving a lot and panting. He has been doing this off and on since he was a baby.. so is this maybe a birth defect? When he was little he would lay around a lot more than the female, and he would pant like that off and on. (refer to my video I posted earlier) Now the panting is everyday and he has a hard time keeping up.. I get discouraged because I don't know much about ducks and trying to learn as much as I can.
I don't have pekins but i have read they can develop leg problems because of the size they get, they are intended for the table and were meant to be raised to a certain age and processed so probably not alot of thought went into developing this heavy bird and the leg problems they can get. Try to keep him from getting over weight may help, It could even be causing breathing problems pressing on his lungs, or it could be a birth defect. only way to know would be to take him to an avian vet, if you can afford to do that then just keep on loving him and feeding him right[not alot of treats] i n the hight carb department, and just keep an eye on him. They are suppose to be very sweet ducks so I know he is loved.

He IS loved!! They are beautiful birds..
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom