Help! My duck is sick!

Ekj1998

Hatching
May 12, 2015
I currently own three ducklings and 2 of which are growing at a normal rate, and from what they've shown so far, seem to be healthy and in good condition. The third duckling however, does not show this behavior. This duck is twice as small as the others, and recently it's legs have grown thicker, almost like a large bump inside both which has caused him to have difficulty standing and walking without tripping over himself. I watched him interact with the others while taking a bath, and he isolates himself in the corner and doesn't move or quack like the others do and he usually does with them. I pulled him aside and left him with some food and water to see if he would take any, he struggled to eat, and eventually quit, and refused to drink water. He doesn't move, only just lays down because he has trouble standing for long periods of time now. He's silent all the time now and I'm not sure what to do. In the pictures below, I brought them all inside to take photos of them together, and single ones of the smaller one. They're wet because they just got out of the water. I'm not sure what to do, and this is worrying me very much! Please help, I want my little duckling to be healthy again!

I currently own three ducklings and 2 of which are growing at a normal rate, and from what they've shown so far, seem to be healthy and in good condition. The third duckling however, does not show this behavior. This duck is twice as small as the others, and recently it's legs have grown thicker, almost like a large bump inside both which has caused him to have difficulty standing and walking without tripping over himself. I watched him interact with the others while taking a bath, and he isolates himself in the corner and doesn't move or quack like the others do and he usually does with them. I pulled him aside and left him with some food and water to see if he would take any, he struggled to eat, and eventually quit, and refused to drink water. He doesn't move, only just lays down because he has trouble standing for long periods of time now. He's silent all the time now and I'm not sure what to do. In the pictures below, I brought them all inside to take photos of them together, and single ones of the smaller one. They're wet because they just got out of the water. I'm not sure what to do, and this is worrying me very much! Please help, I want my little duckling to be healthy again!
Something is dif going on with your little one, what do you feed them? you say you brought them inside where are you keep ing them are they still in a brooder with heat? Looks like your duckling may have a nutritional dif. which is usually niacin. Not all ducklings will show symptoms but some just aren't getting all they need from their diet and it shows up in lameness and can also cause neurological symptoms as well. His littlte legs look almost like they are deformed and they look painful. I'm not a vet though but we do see niacin dif alot this time of year with so many getting ducklings. so what to do, since he seems to have a pretty bad case, he needs vet attention now if he isn't eating or drinking because what we would rec is plain niacin added to drinking water or Brewers yeast sprinkled over feed and this would be on going daily till 10-12 weeks of age. His growth is stunted . Be prepared you may lose him, but if you can do it I'd get him to a vet asap. Your other 2 look like they could have a little more weight on them too. Are you keeping feed out for them 24/7 along with fresh drinking water?

Some additional info from Metzers web site.. http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

Last edited:
Something is dif going on with your little one, what do you feed them? you say you brought them inside where are you keep ing them are they still in a brooder with heat? Looks like your duckling may have a nutritional  dif. which is usually niacin. Not all ducklings will show symptoms but some just aren't getting all they need from their diet and it shows up in lameness and can also cause neurological symptoms as well. His littlte legs look almost like they are deformed and they look painful. I'm not a vet though but we do see niacin dif alot this time of year with so many getting ducklings. so what to do, since he seems to have a pretty bad case, he needs vet attention now if he isn't eating or drinking because what we would rec is plain niacin added to drinking water or Brewers yeast sprinkled over feed and this would be on going daily till 10-12 weeks of age. His growth is stunted . Be prepared you may lose him, but if you can do it I'd get him to a vet asap. Your other 2 look like they could have a little more weight on them too. Are you keeping feed out for them 24/7 along with fresh drinking water?

Some additional info from Metzers web site.. http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

I was trying to, but I messed up. Im completely new to this website so it's a bit confusing to me, haha. And I took a picture of the food I've been feeding them. I'll attach the photo below. This is what was available at Tractor Supply, where I bought them, and the employees there had told me I didn't need to keep them underneath a heat lamp... I tried the niacin mixed with water after measuring out the right amounts and have been giving them daily amounts. The little one drank it last night and seemed to be getting a little bit better, but this morning he wouldn't. I moved them into a temporary pin inside, and I just have a large plastic bin with newspaper lining the bottom and their food and water dishes in there as well and I keep it every day and wash it out for them. They will be moved outside into a pen on Saturday.

I was trying to, but I messed up. Im completely new to this website so it's a bit confusing to me, haha. And I took a picture of the food I've been feeding them. I'll attach the photo below. This is what was available at Tractor Supply, where I bought them, and the employees there had told me I didn't need to keep them underneath a heat lamp... I tried the niacin mixed with water after measuring out the right amounts and have been giving them daily amounts. The little one drank it last night and seemed to be getting a little bit better, but this morning he wouldn't. I moved them into a temporary pin inside, and I just have a large plastic bin with newspaper lining the bottom and their food and water dishes in there as well and I keep it every day and wash it out for them. They will be moved outside into a pen on Saturday.

Did you mean to leave a reply?

Chick starter is what most of us use but it dif doesn't have the amount of niacin ducklings need .glad you have started using the niacin make sure it Plain niacin no time released or flush free just plain. and duckling need heat until completely feather in unless with their mamas. How old are they? letting them swim taking them out and not having a heated place for them to go can cause chilling and sickness, I would never trust those working at TSC to give info most haven't a clue. You little one need food 24/7, grit if your giving other food besides starter and warmth. I don't blame you because you didn't know and believed what the employees told you. But please get your brooder set up get them under heat and no cold baths until they are completely feathered in and acclimated to outside temps. When they are 1 week old temps in their brooder should be around 87-90 then each week it drops 5 degrees until they are at room temp and feathered. They cannot control body heat very well till then. If you have little green peas you can heat them til warm mash them up and add some niacin water. to it and see if you can get your little one to eat, or make a mash out of his feed starting off with say 1/4 cup add the niacin water till it's consistency of soup and try tot get the little one to eat. he needs nourishment and alot of it. needs to be kept hydrated too. Make sure not to feed his soupy mix cold just warm. Heat lamps aren't expensive and red heat lamp bulbs not that expensive just make sure to use the thermometer to make sure not to cook them and secure the lamp so it doesn't accidentally fall into the brooder.
Please keep us updated.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom