Help! My duckling barely stands- will take 3 steps and fall forward and just lay there.

Robynsarah

Hatching
Jun 21, 2021
I hatched 5 ducklings and one of them is not okay. He can take 2-3 steps and just falls forward like he’s too too heavy and will just lay there. The other ones are running around and are very lively. What do I do?! We are feeding them purina flock raiser crumbles and they have access to fresh water.

Attachments

• E0AFDEC4-C784-4F74-A7E1-BDA11EB2FF77.jpeg
    E0AFDEC4-C784-4F74-A7E1-BDA11EB2FF77.jpeg
    464.8 KB · Views: 10
  • B923470D-FBA0-43C6-87D0-3CCB0942ECA8.jpeg
    B923470D-FBA0-43C6-87D0-3CCB0942ECA8.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 46CC6B80-380D-4764-AC0A-10F1537B59C5.jpeg
    46CC6B80-380D-4764-AC0A-10F1537B59C5.jpeg
    470.9 KB · Views: 5
I hatched 5 ducklings and one of them is not okay. He can take 2-3 steps and just falls forward like he’s too too heavy and will just lay there. The other ones are running around and are very lively. What do I do?! We are feeding them purina flock raiser crumbles and they have access to fresh water.
How old are they? Has this duckling always acted this way or is it new behavior?
Are you adding niacin to food or water? Purina flock raiser does not have enough niacin for ducklings, it's a fine feed but you need to supplement niacin.

How old are they? Has this duckling always acted this way or is it new behavior?
Are you adding niacin to food or water? Purina flock raiser does not have enough niacin for ducklings, it's a fine feed but you need to supplement niacin.
They are now 4 days old. This one seems to have always been like this :( I was going to go get some brewers yeast today. Do you know if it’s something I can just get from the grocery store or does it have to be specific for ducks? Also, it doesn’t seem like this duckling eats or drinks. I have been trying to hold it up to the food and it’s not interested but if I hold it to the water it will drink. How do I add the niacin to water? Thank you so much for your help!

Please don't get brewers yeast it doesn't have near the niacin duckling need, If you have a TSC get liquid B complex, it is wonderful for getting the right amount of niacin into them quickly you can give tiny drops right along the bill giving it time to swallow each time or tiny drops right inside of the bill giving it time to swallow. Also adding to water which will help them all. If you want to add a boost to their feed get Nutritional yeast. Not baking yeast and add 1 Tab per cup of feed. But since this little one isn't eating you need to give the liquid B complex. Have you tried a warm soupy mix for this duckling?
:welcome

This could be something genetic or with incubation but trying the liquid b complex is always a safe inexpensive way to try and help.

Please don't get brewers yeast it doesn't have near the niacin duckling need, If you have a TSC get liquid B complex, it is wonderful for getting the right amount of niacin into them quickly you can give tiny drops right along the bill giving it time to swallow each time or tiny drops right inside of the bill giving it time to swallow. Also adding to water which will help them all. If you want to add a boost to their feed get Nutritional yeast. Not baking yeast and add 1 Tab per cup of feed. But since this little one isn't eating you need to give the liquid B complex. Have you tried a warm soupy mix for this duckling?
:welcome

This could be something genetic or with incubation but trying the liquid b complex is always a safe inexpensive way to try and help.
Thank you so much! I have a TSC about 45 minutes away so I will head there today! Would I do the liquid b complex and the nutritional yeast together? Or will that be too much? If it is genetic, do you think he will be okay? I’ve really bonded with this little one and want to do anything I can to help!

As for will he be okay I can't answer that just want to say I sure hope so. When we have to care for one that is struggling it makes it all the harder if we lose them but let's hope some B complex will get him started. Since this little one isn't eating much and the other ducklings need the Nutritional yeast for niacin just add it to their feed. the B complex is water-soluble so what they don't use they will pee out. While your out get a 1ml syringe so you can use it to dose your little one. When I have ducklings in a brooder I add the liquid B complex to their water and Nut yeast to their feed. If I had one like yours he would get it by mouth. Just never shoot the liquid down the throat, way to easy to get it into their lungs which can cause pneumonia.
Another good product to have on hand is Poultry Nutri drench it also can be given by mouth.

Back
Top Bottom