help! my duckling is struggling to walk!

Ok thanks! I don't want to release just was not sure if it was better for them in the wild!

Even Mallards that are bought from feed store or hatchery have never been in the wild[their parents] they are just as domesticated as a pekin or runner. so they need to be taken care of just like any animals that have never been in the wild. What breed do you have? I have Muscovy and all but my oldest drake have been raised right here. My drake was a dumptee in our river and we adopted him, he is 9yrs old. he would have never lived that long if we had left him to fend for himself on the river. matter of fact the other ducks that were with him are all gone. Good to hear it wasn't something you wanted to do. please let us know how your duckling gets along.

I wish I could show you a pick they are the cutest things! My mom and I are big animal people usually we would know what to do with any other animal this is just or first time with ducks! They are baby mallards!

So excited even though his foot stays crumpled he pushes it around in the water!

So excited even though his foot stays crumpled he pushes it around in the water!

Good news. Baby Mallards so so adorable, as are any ducklings but the tinier the cuter. You might be able to make him a shoe using a piece of card board laying the foot on top out like it should be then wrap it with vet wrap to keep it flat. out line the card board in the shape of his foot using a pen or marker then cut, lay foot on top in normal shape then use vet wrap to hold making sure it's not to tight to cut off circulation. taking this off when doing water therapy. I hope you can post pics soon.I think i gave you this link in another post but here it is again. scroll down to close to bottom you'll see some info on leg problems..
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/

Last edited:
Hows baby doing today?
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom