Help! My ducklings are late hatching!

He had a tiny bit still attached, but last night he died. He kept kicking so hard against the shell, I don't know whether he was just practicing or dreaming, or whether he wanted out, but I left him to it and when I went to check on him before I went to bed, he had already passed away.
I feel really sad. I cried a lot yesterday, I have their little brooder set up and everything. I've never lost an animal in my care before.

There is a part of me that never wants to incubate anything ever again! But another part that wants to try again.
I need to test my incubator out more and check the readings, I swear I set the humidity right to begin with but the membrane was so tight and dry and leathery. Sigh...

If I do try again in a couple of weeks, and I do get my incubator to accept the new humidity settings, is there any ways I can make sure the humidity is really good?
e.g I've heard that you can soak fabric (flannels) in warm water, rolled up around the eggs inside the bator, is this good?

This is the incubator I have:

http://www.homelava.com/en-janoel-n...turner-9chicken-24-quail-eggs-nbsp-p13578.htm

the instructions are an awful translation.

I'm just trying to concentrate on my chickens in the garden, and try to remind myself that the duck eggs I bought were being sold for eating, and if I didn't incubate them, they never would've even had any chance at all :(

so sorry to hear the upsetting news
I don't think I could go through the hatching process. As rewarding as it can be, I couldn't handle any of them dying.... I'd be devastated like you
sad.png

I'm so sorry to hear this so sad when we lose them. Do you have any idea what may have happened? you said it had a tiny bit of yolk atttached and was still in part of the shell. I know you are devastated, but like you said you tried giving them a chance..
hugs.gif

Why not wait till spring and look around for some ducklings to bring home and love.

thanks guys, really appreciate the support.
I have spoken to some one selling young adult indian runners through ebay (I explained what happened to me) just asking if they had any ducklings. They were very lovely said they didn't but they would in Feb for their own stock, I've asked if I could buy some week old little ones from them and just waiting to hear back.

It was only a small bit of yolk in the end, and he was still 'hooked' up to it. I've seen lots of videos of ducklings hatching with the same amount still stuck on.
I don't know if I mentioned that the membrane in one of the eggs, when candled, never grew around the whole portion of the shell.
That duckling was very small and I don't know if he would have made it anyway.

I love ducks and would love to have some running about on the lawn
here's a photo of my garden on a sunny winter day :)

thanks guys, really appreciate the support.
I have spoken to some one selling young adult indian runners through ebay (I explained what happened to me) just asking if they had any ducklings. They were very lovely said they didn't but they would in Feb for their own stock, I've asked if I could buy some week old little ones from them and just waiting to hear back.

It was only a small bit of yolk in the end, and he was still 'hooked' up to it. I've seen lots of videos of ducklings hatching with the same amount still stuck on.
I don't know if I mentioned that the membrane in one of the eggs, when candled, never grew around the whole portion of the shell.
That duckling was very small and I don't know if he would have made it anyway.

I love ducks and would love to have some running about on the lawn
here's a photo of my garden on a sunny winter day :)

What a beautiful place and looks great for ducks and chickens. I hope you can get some of these Runners in Feb. that's not far off. and just try to remember sometimes when they don't make it it's for the best, hard to accept but mother nature does have a way of taking care of things if we let her. To me using an incubator is like playing roulette it's not natural to begin with so the odds sometimes aren't stacked in our favor. Please let us know if and when you get your new babies.

Can't give up, just have to try again. It's addicting and when things go well, it's very rewarding.. Each lost is a learning experience. In your case, sounds like he went to long and may have dried up causing blot clots. Once that happens there's not a whole lot you can do..

Back
Top Bottom