HELP! MY DUCK'S LEG IS SWOLLEN FROM BUMBLEFOOT

Duckmomof6

Songster
Aug 27, 2022
My duck, Howie, has had bumblefoot before, but I have never seen it look this bad. He has a big bumble on his heel, and his leg feels swollen. I have him taking a warm bath right now. I can't get him to a vet today, so what can I do? I don't want to lose my Howie.
* When he gets out of the tub, I'll take a picture of his leg and foot.

Attachments

• 16701052567965211747609252358867.jpg
    16701052567965211747609252358867.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 26
So I don't have ducks, but I have had my fair share of chickens with bumblefoot, and Howie looks like he could really use some antibiotics if you can get him to a vet this coming week or can find doxycycline somewhere. Beyond that you can try soaking the scab off and pressing out the pus, but it that can get pretty stressful for both human and bird (not to mention gross). Some people do home surgery, but that's a last resort for me and would have a vet do that if possible.
Once the infection is dealt with, bandaging is useful to keep the wound clean and dry and help it heal, but honestly that's difficult enough with chickens and I don't envy anyone who has to try it with ducks... Did have a vet tell me once that some people with ducks with bumblefoot keep them in water to keep pressure off the scab, but she wasn't convinced that this was the best method because she thought the scab should dry out and that a soft foot is more likely to get hurt. 🤷‍♀️ Wish there was an easy (and fast) way to cure bumblefoot, but you mostly have to keep trying and trying and trying. Best of luck

I'd def keep up the soaks so you soften up the scab, once you can gently lift the scab with your fingernail then its ready to be worked on. If you don't feel comfortable working on this then I recommend a vet mainly because this infection can spread up into bone, joints and eventually blood and there isn't much hope then. Antibiotics are not the cure-all for bumble but sometimes they can help once infection is out. Main thing is getting the infection out. Meds can be bought here
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Hello! Howie went to the vet and is now on Baytril. He will continue getting his webbies soaked and wrapped. Thank you all for your advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom