Help! My EE keeps jumping at me!

KNelly

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 2, 2014
Is this normal behavior? I got two ee named olive and ellie. Olive and her sister are the only ones I didn't t raise from baby chicks. I got Olive at 7 weeks and she is now 11 weeks old. Her sister and her were very scittish when i got them. Her sister Ellie has calmed down since then. Ellie will eat out of my hand, let me pet her, but doesn't like me holding her which is fine. Olive on the other hand just started eating out of my hand, wont let me pet her and doesnt like to be held. She will calm down after a minute when i pick her up though. We just moved all our chickens into the coop 2 days sgo as my husband just finished it. Ever since she went in there when she sees me she starts puffing up and running and/or jumping at me. Why is she doing that? Will she be like that forever? She has started randomly doing it to the other chickens too, but not like she does at me.

I was told she was, but I'm new to chickens so I myself wouldn't know how to be sure she wad a she. Lol

Is this normal behavior? I got two ee named olive and ellie. Olive and her sister are the only ones I didn't t raise from baby chicks. I got Olive at 7 weeks and she is now 11 weeks old. Her sister and her were very scittish when i got them. Her sister Ellie has calmed down since then. Ellie will eat out of my hand, let me pet her, but doesn't like me holding her which is fine. Olive on the other hand just started eating out of my hand, wont let me pet her and doesnt like to be held. She will calm down after a minute when i pick her up though. We just moved all our chickens into the coop 2 days sgo as my husband just finished it. Ever since she went in there when she sees me she starts puffing up and running and/or jumping at me. Why is she doing that? Will she be like that forever? She has started randomly doing it to the other chickens too, but not like she does at me.

Can you post a photo of your bird? As pointed out by Chicken Canoe's question, it may be that you have a young cockerel on your hands who is beginning to feel his oats a bit - it has happened to a few folks who find the lovely "pullet" they were sold is anything but.

That being said - not all birds are "pick me up and cuddle me birds" and it may be that if her reaction is not gender based it is coming from a point of anticipation that you are going to put her through an uncomfortable experience (picking her up and forcing her to be held). If it is an unpleasant thing for her it is natural that she would try to "get you" before you get her.

If one wants to cuddle their birds, I suggest they get breeds that love being cuddled.

Other breeds think they are on the menu when they're grabbed.

Ellie is the white one

Last edited:
Can you post a photo of your bird? As pointed out by Chicken Canoe's question, it may be that you have a young cockerel on your hands who is beginning to feel his oats a bit - it has happened to a few folks who find the lovely "pullet" they were sold is anything but.

That being said - not all birds are "pick me up and cuddle me birds" and it may be that if her reaction is not gender based it is coming from a point of anticipation that you are going to put her through an uncomfortable experience (picking her up and forcing her to be held). If it is an unpleasant thing for her it is natural that she would try to "get you" before you get her.

X2 on Ol Grey Mare. EEs are normally docile, but none of ours ever seemed to particularly enjoy being handled. Breeds that tend to take to holding and cuddling well include, Silkies, Australorps, Orpingtons, Cochins, Brahmas, Sussex, and Faverolles. These breeds frequently become lap pets.

Back
Top Bottom