Help my egg cracked

IMHO blume is over rated. I hatch as many as 1500 eggs at a time.. often we give them a good washing before putting them into the incubator..
it won't hurt to disinfect the area as was stated..
I don't know if any of the taping or gluing will hurt the embryo or not.. but at this point, what other choice do you have other than to just leave it alone and see if it will hatch ?
I suspect the alcohol or bleach might kill the embryo if it touches the membrane ..
it is your call..

Alcohol won't kill the embryo. In my developmental biology lab in college, we used alcohol as a mutagen in the experiment. We used an entire 2 CC (mLs) of 17% rubbing alcohol injected directly into the egg air space and it did nothing. Embryos were still alive and swimming eight days later. No mutants, no decreased growth (we weighed them later.)

Everything was (almost) exactly the same as the saline control group. (I believe we were off by a 0.2 p value--in the wrong direction. The chicks were slightly larger than the control group. They were supposed to be smaller. A p-value has to be at least 0.5 to be considered significant.)

I never put alcohol on an egg, so, like I said, I only supposed it would be toxic..
I can't argue with you because you have done it.
but as I have been hatching eggs of all kinds for about 50 years , have had no problem with bacteria or bad hatches.
i you will say that I was lucky,, OK so I was lucky after hatching thousands of eggs. I accept that..

I never put alcohol on an egg, so, like I said, I only supposed it would be toxic..
I can't argue with you because you have done it.
but as I have been hatching eggs of all kinds for about 50 years , have had no problem with bacteria or bad hatches.
i you will say that I was lucky,, OK so I was lucky after hatching thousands of eggs. I accept that..

I think it's different under a broody hen than in a (Well I assume it's clean) incubator. I realise that the eggs came out of the hen in the first place, but when a hen's setting on them, they're exposed to a lot more bacteria.

Or so I would think. No proof or studies cited, but it seems logical. Your experience is with incubators, mine is with broodies.

I have had lots of experience with broodies,
chickens, guineas, turkeys, geese,
we never messed with their eggs. they all do better than the incubator does.
and if a chicken sits on an egg that was soiled, it soon gets cleaned off just by her rubbing on it.

If our incubator eggs were clean, we left them.
but if they were soiled, we washed them,.
I couldn't see any advantage to incubating whatever was on the egg..
I did lots of rotating hatches. always putting new eggs in and taking pipped eggs out.
there were times when the incubator was never turned off for months..
but now I think we are way off subject..

Back
Top Bottom