Help! My egg exploded!

Madhen80

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 18, 2012
Northwest Ohio
So one of my litte banties went broody a couple weeks ago, and I decided to let her sit on the eggs. I collected about 8 over the course of a week or a little more (from her and 4 other banties). Anyways, I was not being exact about anything, and only candled a couple times at random times (believe me, I'm learning my lesson now!). I've been very busy, working long hours, and caring for kids and I have a litter of puppies. yada yada yada. I wanted to candle them 3 nights ago because I suspected one was not fertile. Well, that didn't happen until tonight, and when my husband and I went out, it was exploded all over the eggs! This was one of the last ones added to the pile, and thus the other eggs are already at 17 days or so. Are they doomed? Should I get out there and clean them off? It must have just happened within the last 6 hours or so. Thanks in advance!

I should also say, that I just went out and checked on them to see if it looked like stuff I could wash off, and one of the eggs is chirping. So, with that said, should I try to wipe them clean??? I'm afraid of the bacteria harming them, but if they are so far along, will it matter?

I'm sorry about your troubles! I had something similar happen to me but it was my hen who accidentally cracked the egg .. Not a bacteria infection. Do you suspect it exploded because of a bacteria build up? I cleaned the cracked egg mess off of the other eggs while my broody was out drinking (I just buffed them with a dry paper towel since the egg had dried)

Did the egg have black/greenish infection looking ooze? Ive had an explosion like that in my incubator before.. That stuff is BAD .. I'd say if there was definite infection present you should take some action ..if it were me I'd probably try to gingerly clean it as best as I could without doing anything too intense

I my broody hatched 4/6 eggs that I had buffed clean ..not sure how much my interference had to do with the other two that failed to hatch or not

Good luck :/ it's a tricky call to make!

If they're chirping in the egg, I wouldn't mess with them, but I am more of a hands-off, let Nature take its course kind of person. I feel that if they're that close to hatching, the best thing is to leave them be. I wouldn't want to upset the mama anymore than I have to, just in case she decided to leave the nest.

We now have one with a crack and one with a hole, so hopefully we are in the clear with at least those two anyways! Thanks! I'll let you know what happens to the rest. Oh, I did not mess with them, I decided against it.

Back
Top Bottom