HELP! my eggs look like they've been pecked on one end???

Chicksadee28

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
I'm very frustrated. I've collected two eggs over the past few days, that have the end cracked. Today's (pictured) is the worst than the other, and I'm afraid that one of the other hens is doing it (out of jealousy perhaps??)
My flock gets to free range, they get table scraps (veggies and fruits, no meats) and I give them treats like roasted peanuts and dried fruits. I have three newer hens, 2 Brahmas and 1 Americauna, that I bought from someone who couldn't keep them, just about a week ago. They adjusted well, and seem very happy. My original flock is an Easter Egger rooster (Americauna and Rhode Island Red we assume) and two White Crested Black Polish, a hen and rooster. I have recently sold them to someone in TN, but just waiting for the shipping box. I also have a pure bred blue Americauna hen, who is only about 5 months old.
What could be going on? I was told one of the new hens can get broody, but would that cause her to peck at the eggs?
Could the eggs get broken when they're being laid? I have straw in the boxes...
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Out of curiosity, I know you don't buy cracked eggs. What about eating cracked eggs from your own chickens, is it ok / safe?
If not, any uses for the eggs that are cracked? I hate to waste them.
Thanks!

does your nest boxes have enough hay or shaving in them ? the eggs could be getting damaged as the hens expel them and they hit the hard surface of the box. i dont eat any cracked eggs myself , i scramble them to feed the dogs or feed back to the chickens, they love them

Looks like pecking. I would put fake eggs out or golf balls to discourage testing the eggs. Collect as often as possible. And eating, I would pass on the cracked ones. Scramble them shell and all. Spoil your girls. :) Good luck.

Last edited:
I'd feed them back cooked to your hens but because the problem is pecking shells I wouldn't give them the shells as well in this case.

Any chance its one of your two new ones and that's actually why they were got rid of in the first place?

My brahmas step on the eggs and they are so heavy i think that is a toe going through the aircell. The eggs are weaker where the air cell is.

Back
Top Bottom