Help- my favorite hen is very sick!

Each morning it would be good to feel of her crop to make sure that it empties overnight. Some young chickens can have reproductive infections or disorders that may not be treatable. The way she stands is common for a sick chicken. When she was still laying in August, did you ever notice any shell-less eggs? When you have a sick hen with an unknown illness like this, and cannot see a vet, it might be good to worm her with the Valbazen, and perhaps give her an antibiotic such as Aqua Mox fish amoxicillin 125-250 mg twice a day for 10 days, in case of a reproductive infection.
I agree it would be worth throwing some things at her unknown illness. I certainly would!
I still think fluid will be critical for her survival. Keep at it.

Hey everyone! I can't thank you enough for all of your support and help. Things have been looking pretty grim for an entire week, and all of a sudden today, my hen came out of her wire crate and started acting TOTALLY NORMAL! What?? She has been scratching and eating the entire day. She even escaped her fenced in area to try to get to the rest of the flock... She went from barely moving for a week, not eating anything unless I blended it and syringe fed her, and on the brink of death.. to totally normal, lots of energy, scratching for bugs, dust bathing, etc. ???????? Is that normal for recovery to happen overnight like that? I am very happy to see her doing well but I am SO confused because I was completely convinced she was going to die last night.... I didn't end up giving her the dewormer, just the antibiotics because again I was so convinced it was her last day on Earth, I didn't want to force her to take more meds. I can't help but feel that we aren't out of the woods yet because of how drastically sick she has been for so long. But I am so full of joy watching her scratch for bugs! I just watched her eat a worm!

Back
Top Bottom