Help. My first sick chicken

HeatherMo

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
What’s wrong with my chicken? Her comb is very pale, she won’t eat and she just stands there barely moving. I just noticed her so I put her in a box in my bathtub with water (she won’t drink though). She is almost 2 years old and the rest of the chickens seem fine. I’m not sure what to do, first time I’ve had any issues with my birds in 2 years. Could this just be old age?

Attachments

• 5C89F58F-F98B-4205-99D6-68F2EE0BC9E7.jpeg
    5C89F58F-F98B-4205-99D6-68F2EE0BC9E7.jpeg
    449.2 KB · Views: 13
Her signs are non-specific to any sort of disease, so it's hard to suggest what might be going on. Performing a physical examination on her may prove useful in the identification of her problem.

This morning, how does her crop feel? Do you have any pictures of her feces, how are they looking? Could you post a picture with a whole-body?

Reproductive problems such as EYP, or salpingitis are common in hens two years or older. Could you gently palpate her abdominal area, does that feel bloated or swollen at all? Hard, watery, firm, distended? If her abdominal area feels a little hard, and bloated, you can check for an egg by sticking a lubed up finger into her vent area.

If she's not eating or drinking much, try offering mashed scrambled eggs, or soupy feed, and see if she'll take to that. Weighing her to determine when, and if tube feeding will be needed to maintain hydration and nutritional status would be a precautious measure. Sick birds generally don't eat much food so have very little "fuel" to keep their body warm, considering that, you may keep the temperature a little higher where you're keeping her.

I think she might have sour crop. She’s worse today. Won’t eat... not even eggs. She’s pooping and it smells horrid and it’s green. It’s stuck all over her rear end. She’s just lays there with her eyes closed. Her crop feels squishy. I think I might ask my husband to put her out of her misery ☹️.

Her signs are non-specific to any sort of disease, so it's hard to suggest what might be going on. Performing a physical examination on her may prove useful in the identification of her problem.

This morning, how does her crop feel? Do you have any pictures of her feces, how are they looking? Could you post a picture with a whole-body?

Reproductive problems such as EYP, or salpingitis are common in hens two years or older. Could you gently palpate her abdominal area, does that feel bloated or swollen at all? Hard, watery, firm, distended? If her abdominal area feels a little hard, and bloated, you can check for an egg by sticking a lubed up finger into her vent area.

If she's not eating or drinking much, try offering mashed scrambled eggs, or soupy feed, and see if she'll take to that. Weighing her to determine when, and if tube feeding will be needed to maintain hydration and nutritional status would be a precautious measure. Sick birds generally don't eat much food so have very little "fuel" to keep their body warm, considering that, you may keep the temperature a little higher where you're keeping her.

Have you been able to get some fluids into her?
I would try to get her hydrated and if she's got sour crop, begin treating for that. I use the method(s) outlined in the article linked below.
It may be worth feeling inside her vent for an egg. Often sour crop is a symptom of an underlying conditions like a reproductive disorder, infection, worms or coccidiosis.

If you feel she's suffering, then putting her out of her misery would be the right thing to do. If you want to figure out why she declined, then send the body to your state lab for necropsy. Some of us perform our own informal necrospy to see if there's anything obvious, if that's something you wish to do, take some photos and we'll try to help you with that.

Crop treatment
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

State Labs
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Necropsy
https://www.slideshare.net/heshamkotb/illustrated-guide-to-poultry-necropsy-and-diagnosis

I agree, with Wyorp Rock - Anytime I've treated sour crop in hens, there has always been some sort of underlying cause, most predominantly reproductive issues such as salpingitis, or EYP. Realistically you could treat the sour crop with a fungistat, which may prolong her life a little bit, but there's always the chance she may go downhill regardless whether due to reproductive problems, infection, cancer, etc. Being the owner, you'll just have to use your best judgment, and decide whether it's worth treating her or euthanizing her.

Thank you for your responses. We put her down, she was in bad shape. 🥺😭 the rest of the flock appears healthy, hoping it stays that way.

Back
Top Bottom