Help my first time with a broody! Eggs hatching today

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cowgirl212, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Cowgirl212

Cowgirl212 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Northwest Missouri
    My black orpington decided to go broody exactly 21 days ago today, She started sitting on 1 lonely egg so of course I added a few others under her. [​IMG]
    The first egg is starting to hatch!
    I have never had a broody hatch eggs. I am wondering if I should put medicated chick feed out, because I want to protect my chicks. Will the medicated feed hurt my adult chicks or ducks? (I've heard ducks shouldn't have medicated feed) If medicated feed isn't the way to go, then what are some other recommendations to protect my chicks?

As of right now I am planning on keeping the chicks with mom, and the few other chickens and 2 ducks that are in the pen along w/ them. I think mom will do best keeping the chicks, and I just enjoy seeing a mother do her thing! But if I have to separate I will. Anyone have any advise on raising chicks with their moms? Most all the info I see is on hatching chicks w/ an incubator and raising them separate.
    Thanks!

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'd put feed out for them, and surround it with some fencing the larger birds can't get through.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Once everything is hatched and dry, you can keep her with the current flock, but it is a bit of a dangerous time, from when the first one hatches and we are waiting for the others to hatch, sometimes that first one gets brave, and leaves the nest, and the layers will kill it. I lock my layers out of the way until all that are going to hatch, have hatched.

Once they are all hatched, I let momma sort it out. I love a broody hen. I have so experience with ducks in a flock, but with chickens I have had good luck.

I used chick starter, and later grower feed, and added egg shells and oyster shell for the layers, the chicks won't touch it.

Mrs K

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  4. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    After all the chicks have hatched, I move the mama hen & chicks into a rabbit cage on the floor of the coop. I keep it closed up with separate food and water, so that the other chickens are around them, but can't get to them. After a few days, I open the door and let the mama take care of her chicks with the rest of the flock. I haven't ever had any problems with the other adult chickens hurting the chicks, but I know others that have had problems. The mama usually brings the chicks back to "bed" at night in the rabbit cage for the first 3-4 weeks, then she'll encourage them to roost with her and the other adult hens.

Good Luck!

5. Cowgirl212

Cowgirl212 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Northwest Missouri
    We have 1 chick so far! It seems very spunky and alive to. I set 2 duck eggs under my hen as well and they wont be due to hatch till next week (dumb me didn't know they took longer) I am worried that she wont get up and tend to the chick, or she will get off the nest and leave the rest of the eggs. I was thinking about taking the chick and getting it started on food and water w/in the next 2 days (since I read they can live w/out food or water for up to 3 days) Then once some of the others hatch graft the chicks back on her?
    I hope none of the other chickens or rooster will bother her, she is the top hen (or was) and nobody has ever bothered her in the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by