HELP!! my flock is SICK!

mshuey1

Songster
Apr 23, 2011
San Antonio
Help I have a flock of around 200. They continue getting sick. There ages five from 2yrs old thru 1wk old. Meds I've tried tylan and doxy. There water is cleaned twice a day and they eat the best food there on purian. They also get treats.
They have running noise, wheezing and sneezing. For the most part I do everything natural. There clean of mites. We've be fighting this for on & off for 3mts.

Quote:
FIRST thing I would do is STOP introducing ANY NEW birds to an already contagious, diseased area! The young ones will die of the infection and those left will just keep passing it around. ISOLATE ALL who seem the worst and be aggressive in their treatment, also treat the rest of the flock according to age and size at the same time.

Next, you need to get the right antibiotic into their water supply and make SURE it is getting into any and ALL the birds.
Serperate the younger birds to prevent overdosing and continued cross contamination and re-infection.
It WILL keep going around and around until you deal with this in an extreme manner.

If you are changing the water that often, are you replacing the medication as well?

It can take more than 3 months to completely clear up a respritory infection in an entire flock. You MUST get an aggressive treatment plan enacted, otherwise you might as well kill the whole flock now and start over.

Im sorry I cant reccomend a specific antibiotic by name- the one time a few of my flock got a respritory ailment, I used this yellow powder that pours into their water supply. I was NOT fast enough, nor thorough enough, and it took me 5 months and 2 dead hens to finally treat and cure my flock. That was almost 2 years ago though. I learned my lesson then of the importance of isolating new poultry. I will never bring any new chickens into my flock again- its hatching eggs only for me now.

I hope you can get your flock better soon- its such a bad feeling when they are sick and you keep trying and trying and it never seems to get better. Just keep trying and get aggressive with treatment. Maybe call a vet for advice on medications?

BTW, dont eat their eggs while they are being medicated.

Quote:
What ends up happening is everone gets it and it just snow balls form there. I agree It's a respiratory disease but how do u get rid of it we've been fighting this on & off for 3mts now
sad.png

How do I boost there immune systems?

Have you been giving vitamins, electrolytes and greens? Did you do a search on CRD and see what medications are indicated? They need protein very much when stressed, like cooked eggs chopped up.

Quote:
What ends up happening is everone gets it and it just snow balls form there. I agree It's a respiratory disease but how do u get rid of it we've been fighting this on & off for 3mts now
sad.png

You CANT boost their immune systems now. They are already sick. They need serious medication for awhile to get them through this. It may take you a long time to completely cure them, but it can be done if you take the time to manage their treatment and medication right.

Make sure they are getting alot of protein and make sure their water has antibiotics in it in the right amounts.

Not to be negative, but, you might want to take your link down temporarily to your chicken/egg selling site since you have a contagion on your property and in your poultry. People will remember you as the Rainbow Farms that has a bad respiratory infection problem. Not good for your biz. (sorry, just trying to help
smile.png
)

I had a respiratory problem run through my flock last year. Read all the disease threads and scared myself silly. Took one hen to the vet and 60 dollars later was told my whole flock would die but I should try duramycin. Well, went to my local hatchery to pick up the med. The hatchery was very supportive, gave me the antibiotic and said not to worry, my chickens would be fine. Followed the package directions to a T. Dosed for 5 days, changing the water and antibiotic daily. My flock was better within 2 days! It is very scary when you work so hard, enjoy your chickens so much, do everything right and then your chickies get sick. However, I had a good outcome. Now it is a year later, I didn't loose anyone and everybody is happy and well. Get some Duramycin or Tetracycline. Follow the directions on the package. Follow treatment with a small amount of yogurt for a treat and you should be great! Best of Luck to you and your birdies.

Thank you all for the great advice. When I change the water I do put antibiotics in it. The second thing is I never buy chickens I have hatch everyone, your right there to many scary things out there.

Quote:
sad.png

You CANT boost their immune systems now. They are already sick. They need serious medication for awhile to get them through this. It may take you a long time to completely cure them, but it can be done if you take the time to manage their treatment and medication right.

Make sure they are getting alot of protein and make sure their water has antibiotics in it in the right amounts.

Not to be negative, but, you might want to take your link down temporarily to your chicken/egg selling site since you have a contagion on your property and in your poultry. People will remember you as the Rainbow Farms that has a bad respiratory infection problem. Not good for your biz. (sorry, just trying to help
smile.png
)

That's great advice, thanks:)

Back
Top Bottom