Help MY flock was hit...

kelliepulido

Songster
11 Years
Mar 18, 2008
st.john's mi
I found evidence of at least 2 birds being eaten in my chicken yard,all that was left was the feet and feathers,and 1 short string of bowel.Not exactly sure when it happened the bodies were lying underneath dense over growth along a back fence in their yard.No maggots and alot of flies so seems like it was fairly fresh.What would eat the whole bird but leave the feet?Don't think it was a bop thought they would carry their meal off,seems like other predators would carry the bird somewhere else to eat but not sure.ANy thoughts?I have had them for about 3yrs and this is the first problem I have had.They are in a 6ft.fenced yard and the barn.The fence is cyclone heavy duty stuff.No evidence of something going under,there is an area by a gate that something could have gone through but they would have had to get into my dog yard which surrounds the chicken barn and yard.

Last edited:
Quote:

Do you have a dog that shares this yard with your chickens? If so you may want to check around the yard or dog house. I am not by anymeans saying your dog is the guilty party; but if you can eliminate him as a suspect it will make it easier to identify the predator.

I am sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

I had the exact evidence left by a predator that had actually chewed through two layers of chicken wire to get at my birds. The only thing left behind of one of my huge roos was his feet. I set a trap using his feet as bait right along the outside of the newly repaired coop and low and behold....It was a huge coon.

That is my guess as to what attacked your birds. I would set a trap asap.

Good luck...sorry for your loss.

raccoons are VERY strong and will almost not stop at anything...keep a trap set every night..if you catch one, don't bank on it that it's the only one out there coming over...Good Luck.

It was a hawk saw him sitting on the chicken fence midmorning looking into the pen.I thoght yesterday after investigating that the kill happened during the day

Years ago I nearly lost my entire flock of birds to hawks. At one time I saw 5 of them in the trees over my pen and one actually attacked a bird right in front of me. I moved them to a covered pen and only allow them to free range when I am outside with them now. The point of my story is that I have seen hundreds of hawk kills over the last 30 years of raising chickens and I have never seen a hawk eat an entire bird except the feet. (I have seen them carry chicks and bantams off) Normally they have split the bird open and eaten the breast and innerds.

I'm not saying that the hawk isn't what took your bird. I am just saying that I would still set a trap and make sure that the hawk sitting on the fence post wasnt just a coincidence...better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom