Help!! My girl having Trouble breathing???

Is vet care an option at all?

Where are you located in the world?
Is her crop emptying?

Could be respiratory infection. Depending on where you live, possibly Gapeworm, though it's more rare.

I'd keep on trying to get fluids into her. Do look again inside her beak for obstruction, lesions or canker.

I'd be inclined to treat with an antibiotic and deworm her.
Baytril would be good, if you can't get that, then go with Tylan50. Safeguard Liquid Goat dewormer would be what I'd use for worms.

Is vet care an option at all?

Where are you located in the world?
Is her crop emptying?

Could be respiratory infection. Depending on where you live, possibly Gapeworm, though it's more rare.

I'd keep on trying to get fluids into her. Do look again inside her beak for obstruction, lesions or canker.

I'd be inclined to treat with an antibiotic and deworm her.
Baytril would be good, if you can't get that, then go with Tylan50. Safeguard Liquid Goat dewormer would be what I'd use for worms.
I used to love Safeguard when I had chickens.

Only other thing I can think of, when you are examining her, feel if there's any air bubbles under her skin around the location of her air sacs. A ruptured air sac could cause gasping, exaggerated breathing.

Chickens have 9 air sacs and 2 lungs.

1664597089281.png

Oh my goodness your poor chicken. I'm so sorry!
She almost sounded like she was obstructed, as if she swallowed a string or something 😔
she might have a respiratory issue like mucous blocking her nares (nostrils) I don't know that I can offer anything helpful, I'm sorry.
Would anyone know if a steam in a moist bathroom would help a chicken the way it does a person?

Only other thing I can think of, when you are examining her, feel if there's any air bubbles under her skin around the location of her air sacs. A ruptured air sac could cause gasping, exaggerated breathing.

Chickens have 9 air sacs and 2 lungs.

View attachment 3277092
Oh this is a good point, the air sacs can cause issues if damaged. I had a baby quail hatch with a ruptured air sac last year. Little thing gasped like her. It was such a small newborn baby, it was too weak and didn't make it. An adult hen hopefully would be able to recover but I don't know.

We’re in Pennsylvania in the US. All the vets that see birds within 60 miles weren’t in office when we called yesterday. Going to call more in the morning.

I used the safeguard equine dewormer as someone else suggested- a pea sized amount. I also gave her a dose of Duramycin, an antibiotic a friend of a friend was able to get us.

She’s not eating or drinking, but I keep dripping water into the side of her beak when it’s open and she drinks it up. I don’t feel or see anything in her throat or feel anything that would feel like air bubbles along her body.

I feel helpless. She’s my daughter’s chicken and both my kids are a mess over it… I feel like we’re just watching her slowly die…

Back
Top Bottom