Help my girl is hurt!

nobleschicks

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2015
Damascus
I've only had chickens for a 9 months I raised this chicken since she was 2 days old. I walked into the coop today and found her face down and full of blood. I thought she was dead but she was breathing. I rushed her in the house cleaned it the best I could and put antibiotic ointment on her. She's just laying there breathing but not the way a healthy one would. What else can I do I hate to see her this way my heart is breaking.... Thank you

Does she have any visible injuries that the blood came from?

I would keep her inside and warm (80 degrees or so)

Without knowing more about her injuries theres not much else I can suggest right now

Hopefully she's feeling better soon

AJ

blukote or vaseline or vertericyn are good choices to put on the wounds to help in healing, don't use anything with painkillers in it as they are toxic to chickens and don't use peroxide it "eats" the bad tissue and the good keep her warm as aohare said and try to keep her separated check her beak to tail for all injuries trim feathers around the wounds so they don't get in the way of treating it and to keep it out of the wound while it is healing.

She's an apenzeler spitzhausen not sure on spelling but she don't have feathers around her face really but she seemed to be bleeding on her face. I have her in the house to keep her warm I was able to give her water in a syringe this morning. Even with all this happening she laid an egg last night!

Poor girl!

Do her eyes look okay (hard to tell in the pic)?

Right now supportive care and keeping it clean are going to be the best you can do.

Keep her inside, keep it clean and treat it with something like Veterycin or Blukote, avoid peroxide it does too much damage.

Make sure she stays warm, they are very resilient and I've seen some of mine heal from extreme injuries.

I hope she's feeling better soon!

AJ

She's an apenzeler spitzhausen not sure on spelling but she don't have feathers around her face really but she seemed to be bleeding on her face. I have her in the house to keep her warm I was able to give her water in a syringe this morning. Even with all this happening she laid an egg last night!
does anyone in the coop have a bloody beak someone may have picked her until she looked like that they don't mean to do it but they see the red and just keep picking at it, keep it clean rinse with saline, choose one from my list (someone may have more options but thats what I had off the top of my head) and then keep her warm, she'll take a while to heal but be patient and she should come out of it. Do you know if she is blind in that eye?

Well I came home from work today and she's able to hold her head up she is alert and even stands up! I'm sure she's not out of the woods yet but she's headed in the right direction
1f642.png

Back
Top Bottom