Help- My Girls Are Aggressive!

I know many of you think of the chickens completely like pets. I mark my bullies with a blue band.( at this time) I follow the Southwest Airlines plan, blue is the next group to depart.
Depending on how mean they are can vary their departure time. However, I also invite them for a Sunday Dinner later.

Last edited:
I know many of you think of the chickens completely like pets. I mark my bullies with a blue band.( at this time)  I follow the Southwest Airlines plan, blue is the next group to depart.
Depending on how mean  they  are  can vary their departure time.  However, I also invite them for a Sunday Dinner later.

LOL. My son calls Miss Ellie, dinner! She's like the grinch.

So, I had this idea. Maybe if they had a common enemy, they'd flock together. It kind of worked. I let me dog out while they were free ranging and they did sort of flock together. It was interesting. There was some posturing and one peck when the dog wasn't near (the dog loves the chickens and is gentle with them but she wants to "herd" them having sheepdog blood in her LOL.) The new girl is very good about finding places to hide, though.

Update, day 3 of free ranging to get used to each other....seems to be going well. The new girl goes into the coop and hangs out. It's kind of funny. The other two are still sticking together and my Silver Laced Wyandotte seems to be the only one chasing and pecking the new one.

I have a question....how can you tell who is at the top of the pecking order? The two older girls seem to be on fairly equal ground but I'm wondering if the Golden Sex Link, Daisy is the main girl in charge. If the Wyandotte, Petunia is chasing the new girl, does that mean she's making sure the new girl knows she's last in line?

Last edited:
Update, day 3 of free ranging to get used to each other....seems to be going well.  The new girl goes into the coop and hangs out. It's kind of funny.  The other two are still sticking together and my Silver Laced Wyandotte seems to be the only one chasing and pecking the new one.  

I have a question....how can you tell who is at the top of the pecking order?  The two girls seem to be on fairly equal ground but I'm wondering if the Golden Sex Link, Daisy is the main girl in charge.  If the Wyandotte, Petunia is chasing the new girl, does that mean she's making sure the new girl knows she's last in line?

That's what I've observed in my flock. ..the lower they are in the pecking order the harder they are on the newcombers. I'm not sure if it would work for chickens but I've read of people who are trying to get their pet rabbits to bond will put them in a carrier together and take them for a car ride because putting them in a safe but stressful situation gets them to focus on what's happening other than fighting with anyone and they soon get over the newness. Your off to a good startby ggiving them the free-ranging time. The more space they all have the less threatened they'll feel

That's what I've observed in my flock. ..the lower they are in the pecking order the harder they are on the newcombers. I'm not sure if it would work for chickens but I've read of people who are trying to get their pet rabbits to bond will put them in a carrier together and take them for a car ride because putting them in a safe but stressful situation gets them to focus on what's happening other than fighting with anyone and they soon get over the newness. Your off to a good startby ggiving them the free-ranging time. The more space they all have the less threatened they'll feel

I have noticed that also. The bottom of the pecking order here had blood on her back from pecking. We put her in the hospital for a week or so. The other birds would visit her, but when it was time to be released the bottom birds were relentless on her. She is a smaller timid white EE, and spend most her day running from the others. She is even afraid to enter the coop at night. I have to wait till she roosts somewhere and carry her into the coop, and place her on a high deserted roost area.

My birds have 100's of acres to use, and still this one is picked on. The sad part is I like her and I think I will keep her for my flock. When the rest are departing she and 12 others will get to stay.

Back
Top Bottom