1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help my goat ate...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Dec 30, 2008.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    two pieces of gelt! You know, the chocolate coins that are covered in foil... she apparently ate two small ones, foil and all. I'm worried about the foil being sharp and cutting something inside. Anyone have a goat eat something like that? I don't imagine there is anything I can do, but I am worried about it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  2. GPN

GPN Got Pheasants? Nessia

Aug 6, 2008
    Snead, Alabama
    Hope they are ok! I don't have goats now but as we grew up we had a Billy at our place that liked to eat bicycle streamers!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2008
  3. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

I have not had goats eat that but I have had dogs get into them. They just poop out gold! [​IMG] Don't worry unless you see signs of intestinal cramping or something like that. 2 coins should not do anything. That foil wrapping is not that hard to cut them but just watch her.

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I would think she'll be ok.

If she were here, I would increase her roughage for the next 48 hrs with:

beet pulp (shredded)
    psyllium (like Sand Clear)
    or just lots of extra high fiber hay (orchard, fescue, timothy)

You're gonna have golden goat berries! Perfect for jewelry making [​IMG]

5. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Someone on another site had a goat eat Hersheys kisses and they did fine...just silver berries later. Yep just let her eat all teh hay she can and it will push it thru...

6. dickiebird

dickiebird Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2007
    Cedar Hill MO
    They eat cans, don't they? This too shall pass.

7. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I have never seen a goat eat cans....

I've had them eat the feed bags made of paper and a few cardboard boxes got nibbled on.... For the most part they are VERY picky eaters....

If I spill their food on the ground they leave it there for the chickens.... Once the hay hits the ground it's bedding material....

I wouldn't worry about the candy.... just watch for gold poop to know it's all over with...

[​IMG]

8. annmarie

annmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Half dollars or dimes? [​IMG]

9. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:Ditto.. the mythe about them eating cans comes from the goat picking up a can and licking out what is left in the can.. my dogs do this also..

BTW if you have cattle.. did you ever notice that they won't eat the grass that is growing out of a cow pie?

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Ya'll have eased my mind about the gelt. I will keep watch out for golden poop, lol. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by