HELP! My goat gave birth! REALLY BAD NEWS Post#77 Need Answers

Quote:
Ahhhh, a first time pregnant daughter. She will think back about how silly she was with all of those raging hormones. I know I have. I'm only 32 and I can't wait for all of the hormonal mood changes of menopause
gig.gif

I have also been having the same thoughts about if I could have only been there when she had the kids. I suppose everything happens for a reason. It just seems so cruel when it happens to such a cute little helpless animal. I'm afraid I'll never know the reasons for them passing but at least they aren't suffering.

Ruth call the vet to see about getting a Bo-se shot for the little 1's as it helps the immune system. Also get 1 for momma also if you dont have it onhand...this shot is something they need. It will help the little buckling stand better. Also peoples Vitamin E at the store in gelcaps its great for them also. 1 caplet a day is good for the babies for about 5 days. Good luck.

Quote:
You should! BoSe, vitamine E capsules, tet antitoxin, C/D antitoxin, C/D & T toxoid, CMPK, Nutridrench, ProBios...just to name a few things to have on hand...

Can you explain a little what the C/D antitoxin, C/D & T toxoid, and the CMPK is? Thanks!

Quote:
C/D & T toxoid- the number one vaccine to give goats on a regular basis, prevents tenanus and enterotoxemia (overeating disease) caused by clostridium bacteria

antitoxin- given goats that are not current on tetanus/clostridium boosters who become sick or injured to prevent the above mentioned diseases

CMPK- given to treat a doe for milk fever (Ketosis)

bheila- Did you mention that the babies were being bottle fed? A common mistake is to feed too much. Yes, baby goats will drink themselves to death, especially if they're chilled or recovering from hypothermia. (I learned this one the hard way)

Newborn pygmies should get roughly 2 oz. 3-4 times a day. Let mama do it if at all possible.

So in looking online, I have found tetnus toxoid and c/d & t toxoid. The tetnus alone is much more expensive, do I need both or is the combination one enough?

they are two completely different things....antitoxin is given in emergency situations, after the fact.

The toxoid is what you need to give kids at 30 days old and again 28 days later. After that an annual booster is needed- usually given 4-6 weeks prior to kidding.

Look for Bar-Vac C/D &T. It is very cheap- $7 a bottle around here ( that's good for ~25 doses I think). Another common one is Colorado Serum's Essential 3+T. They are refrigerated so having them shipped is costly. Check your local farm store near in the refrigerated vaccines.

Back
Top Bottom