HELP! My goat gave birth! REALLY BAD NEWS Post#77 Need Answers

bheila

Songster
11 Years
Feb 8, 2008
Kent, Wa
First off NO I didn't breed her. I bought her from a BYCer apparently breed. I just thought she was in heat. This is all new to me so I have no idea what to do. I walked out this morning to find blood all over the backside of my doe. So I immediately ran to the goat shed to find 2 half frozen baby goats. I called my mom so that she could run to the feed store to get bottles and milk replacer. One of the babies is dry and seems to be trying to getting up from time to time. The other was still wet and seems very lethargic. He keeps tilting his head back and twisting. He also sounded like his lungs were wet so I used my kids booger sucker and got what looked like mucous out of his mouth. I have both of them inside infront of a heater now. Now what? How soon before they need to eat. When will the mom expell the afterbirth. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Do they eat it like other animals. Any info ya'll can give will be so appreciated. Sorry I'm in such a panic. Mom does seem interested in the babies but how do I get her to feed them. Mom just keeps pacing back and forth bellering. Please HELP?

Last edited:
Good luck. I don't know anything about goats. But if mom is calling for them, could you put a heat lamp out near the babies and have mom near them too so perhaps she can feed them?

Either bring the mom in or the babies OUT. ASAP they need Colostrum , dry them well and cut a small sweathshirt or something to keep them warm. GOodluck

Those babies need warmth from the inside all well as your heater.
I was waiting for formula when I found my doe had kidded also. It may not have been the best thing to do but I put warm water with corn syrup in a bottle and gave it to them to get them warm and to give them some energy. Mine snapped right out of it and i was able to get the kids back on momma within just a few days.

Goats have been known to eat their afterbirth, some only nibble at it. It could be several hours before it is passed. She needs to nurse the babies, this will help with the expulsion of the afterbirth. The pacing is probably due to her wanting to check on the babies and nurse them. Try to get babies to attach to teat (hold teat in hand and one kid at a time, put nibble in mouth...you may need help holding mom if she squirms), but first squeeze the tip of teat and make sure the mucas plug is out, if it is milk will squirt out. They need to get on her and get the colostrum. If they can't nurse, especially the weak one, you may have to milk her and bottle feed the baby. You would be surprised how most moms usually know what to do. Make sure the babies are warm, since they were cold. Bring doe inside if you needed to get the process started. Good luck. If you need more info email and I'll give you my number.

You did great by bringing the kids in and getting them warm and dry. Now, as stated, you HAVE to get them drinking that colostrum. I would either bring momma in and have them nurse in the house to get them started or set up a heat lamp in a very draft free, enclosed area outside and help them start nursing out there. Momma is looking for them so hopefully she'll accept them easily... you need to get them back together as soon as possible; but with the babies dry and warm.

I agree with cluckychick http://thegoatspot.net/phpbb/index.php is a great site with very helpful and wonderful people.

You did great with the suction thingy... those are always part of a good kidding kit.

Best wishes to get those babies eating quickly and up on their feet.

Hope your new babies at the momma are doing okay. I dont really have anything to add, everyone is giving you good advice. Sometimes for a first time mother getting her to let them nurse is hard, and requires two people, one to hold the mom and the other to assist the kids. If you cannot get them to drink moms colostrum they have some at the feed store in tubes, or you can contact your vet and see if they know someone who has some frozen. The frozen kind would be better, but can be hard to come by. You did a great job by warming them up and getting the junk out of the mouth/nose, if it continues to sound raspy you can hold the kid upside down by its back legs and that will help to drain the lungs. As for a boost you can pick up some goat nutri-drench and it will pick those kids right up. Good luck, if you need anything else feel free to PM me, I check that way more often then the posts here. [email protected]

Oh, dear...

Its probably too late for the one who is twisting his neck. In my experience, those are the throws of death (oft seen with entero, polio, etc). Don't give up!

Heating pads are your friend. Keep them inside, in a crate with a heating pad on one side.

Milk that doe(ling) and get as much colostrum in those kids as possible. You'll need to tube feed the really down one - look on youtube for videos, its really not that hard. If you can force them onto the teat...that's best, but it kinda sounds like you're destined to bottle babies.

24 hrs...colostrum. After that, full fat half and half from the store...always warmed to 102 degrees.

Yes, the doe might have eaten the placenta - some do and some dont.

SO SORRY you're going through this!

Back
Top Bottom