Help! My hen has black nails!

gnine0326

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 17, 2012
Maryland
It isn’t cold so it’s not frostbite. I noticed her nails had all turned purple/black. Her feet are warm and supple. No bumble foot noted. She is active. Walks and roost fine. Please help!

gnine0326

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 17, 2012
Maryland
Can you post picture of her feet?
I feel kinda stupid posting this but I am honest. I was going to take a picture of my hens feet. I wipe her feet down and noticed that the black color came off. My daughter said looks like you have dyed mulch. I asked non-dyed mulch but it looks like I have dyed mulch.

BroodyCluck

Songster
6 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Cleveland, Texas
I feel kinda stupid posting this but I am honest. I was going to take a picture of my hens feet. I wipe her feet down and noticed that the black color came off. My daughter said looks like you have dyed mulch. I asked non-dyed mulch but it looks like I have dyed mulch.
It may be natural colors in the mulch. Have you used mulch for a while? I'm thinking of going to mulch this time after cleaning my coop which has dirt floor.

gnine0326

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 17, 2012
Maryland
It may be natural colors in the mulch. Have you used mulch for a while? I'm thinking of going to mulch this time after cleaning my coop which has dirt floor.
I use straw in the coop but have put a little mulch down every now and then. I also have a dirt floor. I try to get the hens to turn it over. The hens have been getting in my front yard where we just mulched.

Top Bottom