Help! My hen has canker!

thank you for sending me that link I learend some new stuff about chickens witch im so happy I did I know alot about chickens but its crazy how much stuff there is to learn so I dont know every sickness theres so many i wouldent be alble to help people on but theres somany things I could lol

I first noticed about 2 weeks ago my hen had like saliva hanging from her beak. I thought it was strange but after the 3rd day I started to worry so I was just inspecting her and happened to see inside her mouth and saw a yellow lump. At first I just thought it was food but the following day it was still there and so I started to do research online and apparently it’s canker. I bought metroplex on Amazon I believe it has metronidazole. It came in a powdered for so I’ve been given her 250mg once a day, today was the 5th day and I saw it can be give 5-7 days. I looked inside her mouth and it still looks the same. She is still eating normally but has a hard time swallowing b/c of the mucus/saliva. My question is, is the yellow lump going to fall off eventually or how does that work? Do I need to wait a while and do another round of medication? I try to change her water often and add apple cider vinegar and some thyme leaves.
I spoke with a poultry biologist, Peter Brown, and he said first separate the chicken from al others, second get some Oxine and treat a gallon of water with 15 drops all the time. It kills bacteria that can grow in the water. Next he said to treat with the Metronidazole 250mg twice a day. Also, he said to try and get the canker deposits out of their mouth and don’t let them swallow it. Treat the spots in the mouth with Iodine. My older hen is not eating on her own so I have to tube feed her Kaytee Exact bird feed. Without my tube feeding her she would die. Hope this helps it’s a terrible disease.

Attachments

• IMG_7252.jpeg
    IMG_7252.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom